Breakfast sausage links question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hockeydudde

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 31, 2022
New Mexico
Made breakfast sausage bulk and links. 15 lbs total. Followed this thread:
But omitted the ginger and red pepper flakes. Also cut the herbs by 80% since I was using herbs dried from our garden. But turned out great, super tasty!
Today I made links for the first time. I have them in the fridge right now. I want to vacuum pack. How to I separate them into links for packing without them falling apart at the ends?
PXL_20230402_223653695.jpg

PXL_20230402_224503894.jpg

Thanks!

I get them good and cold . Then use a sharp knife to cut them apart . I put them on a sheet pan and slide them into the freezer covered in plastic wrap .
Once frozen I vac seal .
These are ready to seal fully frozen . Just how I do it .

1680482278643.jpeg

Thanks for the tips!
I left them in the fridge to dry and chill overnight, but didn't have room in the freezer to keep them from freezing to each other. I snipped the ends and vacuum sealed on gentle. We'll see how they come out.
For drying overnight, the twisted parts that were exposed dried and were strong. But where they were protected, they were still wet and weak. Next time I'll take better care to space then out so the twisted part can dry better.

Reactions: chopsaw
I usually give them a pinch at the ends to sort of seal them, then snip them with kitchen shears. I do this before putting them on a large pan and into the freezer for an hr or so. Then vacuum packing doesn't squish them.

My 2 cents
Corey

I usually give them a pinch at the ends to sort of seal them, then snip them with kitchen shears. I do this before putting them on a large pan and into the freezer for an hr or so. Then vacuum packing doesn't squish them.

My 2 cents
Corey
Hadn't consider partial freezing. I'll try that next time.
Thanks!

Fried up some links today. They came out of the package pretty mashed up. But once they started to heat up, they plumped up quite nicely.
PXL_20230408_144819842.jpg

Like others said, partially or even fully freeze on a baking sheet, then vac seal.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky