Having Trouble with a Cook off

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Joshua DuPre

Original poster
Jan 25, 2019
I am new to the BBQ cook off competition and I have done a BBQ competition for 3 years thus far and I have had less than 4 people to all of my events to compete . How can I get it off the ground to have more people to come compete. There is always people coming for food and fun , but we almost never have enough competitors . We have a venue big enough for at least 20 competitors as well. ( Next to the Church )

We have trophies and also judges , the only issue is people coming to compete .

We do it for a fundraiser for the Youth Department at my church and . ( the fee is 20 bucks which I thought was a lot less than others according to when I go to the other BBQ events )

Any help would be great !!!!!

My immediate thought was to hold it as a fund raising for a local charity or church or VFW and the like. But I see you have that covered. Don't know where you are located but maybe you'll have better participation in the spring or summer. Good luck!

I am located in Vicksburg Ms . I dont see many competitions and if I do I have to drive out to place (50 minutes minimum)

See maybe if you can talk to local businesses to see if they would be willing to donate gift cards or services for the winning entries. It would give the businesses exposure for sponsorship and also entice more people to enter the competition which is all for a good cause in the first place.

Also local radio stations might be willing to expose it on air and possibly sponsor it.

Might all be out of the question but just a couple ideas I figured I would throw out there. Good luck!

Reactions: SouthernSmoked
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky