Having a UDS built, need advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

joepeep77

Original poster
Aug 19, 2016
Hey all,

I've got a guy building a UDS for me, and I selected to have only one grill grate put in. He can add another below it, but I wasn't sure if it was necessary. Have I done this wrong? Should I change my request?

Last edited:
They wouldn't be adjustable.

I got to thinking about it and realized that with just one I can't really put a pan in for water or drippings or anything. Would there be a danger of flare-ups and dried out meat?

They wouldn't be adjustable.

I got to thinking about it and realized that with just one I can't really put a pan in for water or drippings or anything. Would there be a danger of flare-ups and dried out meat?
I would go adjustable to begin with.

I have two grates in mine and I have cooked with food on both at one time. You can use the lower for a butt and the upper for ribs fir instance.

There is no worry about flare ups. I once had a brisket drip all over my coals and darn near snuffed them out though..

Yep no need to worry about flare ups.

Make sure he builds you a good charcoal basket with feet and an ash catcher. Lot easier to clean up.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky