Haven't heard of this brine before.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
While looking around for interesting/new pickling brines. I came across this.
  • 1 1/2 cups vinegar
  • 1/4 cup Frank’s RedHot sauce
  • 1/4 cup vegetable cocktail (such as V8)
  • 1 tablespoon dehydrated onion flakes
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon mustard seed
  • 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper flakes, optional
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 clove garlic, crushed
The V8 juice sounds like a interesting twist. I believe that would make for a great tasting sausage. Or, perhaps eggs?

wow a low salt brine, if i try this i would use apple cider or red wine vinegar

I was thinking about apple cider too. I'm getting ready to do a batch of eggs. I think I'll do a quart of them this way.

Sounds good, V8 is pretty salty though but I do like the sound of it.

You going regular V8 or V8 Spicy?

You going regular V8 or V8 Spicy?

Since it already calls for a 1/4 cup hot sauce I'll just use the regular.

I agree. This is the reason there is such a small amount of salt in the Recipe. I love V8. My Wife accidently brought home Low Sodium V8. It was Horrible! Tasted like theyes Canned the Water they Wash the Veggies in! I stirred in a dash of salt as was all good.

In the Brine...I'm thinking a shake of Worcestershire Sauce and/or a bit of Horseradish would be tasty...JJ

I agree. This is the reason there is such a small amount of salt in the Recipe. I love V8. My Wife accidently brought home Low Sodium V8. It was Horrible! Tasted like theyes Canned the Water they Wash the Veggies in! I stirred in a dash of salt as was all good.

In the Brine...I'm thinking a shake of Worcestershire Sauce and/or a bit of Horseradish would be tasty...JJ

That was what I was thinking as well about the salt content. I usually add a few drops of Worcestershire sauce in my tomato juice or bloody Mary. You think that will work with eggs?

I can't see why not, though it may take longer that 2 days to get in and add a lot of flavor. Good experiment...JJ

I can't see why not, though it may take longer that 2 days to get in and add a lot of flavor. Good experiment...JJ

Sounds good to me. I was thinking about putting a vacuum to it. And let it sit for at least a couple of weeks. Though that may be difficult!

Reactions: chef jimmyj
I got the stuff to make Red Beets Eggs, but I think I want to try Amish Mustard Eggs...JJ

I was thinking about apple cider too. I'm getting ready to do a batch of eggs. I think I'll do a quart of them this way.

Just wondering if the cider or red wine vinegar has enough acidity to keep the Bot away...? I don't know, posing the question for the experts out there. My bottles don't list a level like the white distilled vinegar does.

Just wondering if the cider or red wine vinegar has enough acidity to keep the Bot away...? I don't know, posing the question for the experts out there. My bottles don't list a level like the white distilled vinegar does.

I have both. And they each state 5% acidity.

PA243302.JPG

Last edited:

I’m in the mood for a bloody mary now. I love v8 as well, but only in kicks then I don’t drink it for awhile...but definitely a bloody mary this weekend.

I got the stuff to make Red Beets Eggs, but I think I want to try Amish Mustard Eggs...JJ

I've been wanting to make those as well. One day....

They’re good! Wife an I prefer them to the beet eggs for a nice change of pace. We’ve been making a jar a week so that we have some ready to eat while the second jar is working it’s magic. I usually take one for breakfast at work.

We’re going to make more this weekend...but I want to do these on the side. Thanks again for the recipe, Steve

Reactions: Steve H
Here is the rest of the recipe:
Bring the vinegar, hot sauce, V8 juice, onion flakes, salt, mustard seed and hot pepper flakes to a boil; reduce heat and simmer covered for a couple of minutes.

Place the bay leaf and garlic clove in a clean 1 litre mason jar.

Put the cooked sausage or eggs in the jar.

Pour the liquid into the jar up to the base of the rim of the jar, making sure the sausage is covered with liquid.

Screw on the lid and allow cooling to room temperature before placing in the refrigerator.

Reactions: xray
Blah, blah, blah J/K I just use one or the other for taste difference.

some here were worried about the acidity level, i just do for taste as well

Reactions: Steve H
So, I made some. One quart of this recipe. And some regular pickled eggs. Now the wait....

PA243307.JPG

Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky