Have too many egg? Pickle them.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

link

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 7, 2008
Michigan
I found myself with way too many eggs after Easter (they were on sale) and I did not want to throw them out so I decided to pickle a few.

I followed this recipe:

WORLD’S GREATEST PICKLED EGG RECIPE
  • 12-24 Large eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups distilled white vinegar
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 1 Tbs. pickling spice
  • 4 cloves garlic, slightly crushed
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 small onion, sliced into rings
I modified it a bit.

Jar 1 (16 eggs) - Recipe above with 3 Serrano peppers added.

Jar 2 (30 eggs) - Recipe above doubled with 6 Serrano's and 1 table spoon of a very hot Pepper powder I make each year.

Both jars vacuum sealed. I will let these sit at least a week maybe two,

Thanks for looking

Link 

Reactions: uncle eddie
Looks good to me.
I bet they'll be nice-n-tasty.

I tried Nepas Sriracha Pickled Eggs recipe and it was good, really good once I put an insane amount of heat into them.
But a few weeks to a month is not long enough for them to really mature in flavor.
More like three to four months in my opinion.

You can leave them in the fridge for that long without them going bad? 

Looks good to me.
I bet they'll be nice-n-tasty.

I tried Nepas Sriracha Pickled Eggs recipe and it was good, really good once I put an insane amount of heat into them.
But a few weeks to a month is not long enough for them to really mature in flavor.
More like three to four months in my opinion.
If you do them in vacuum canisters they only take a week. My dill pickles used to take 2-3 months to get good.

Now in vac canisters they take 5 days to reach the same level of flavor.

And link your egg recipe sounds real good!

Al

OK, so these were started on April 23rd and they are pretty darn good. I brought them into work today and all that tried them (even the skeptical ones liked them). These ones had the extra Hot seasoning added so they have a little color.

Thanks for looking

Link

Last edited:
Tried the brine half water half vinegar years ago and got mold for some reason within a week but left them out of fridge, have made some since with straight vinegar with no problems

Tried the brine half water half vinegar years ago and got mold for some reason within a week but left them out of fridge, have made some since with straight vinegar with no problems
I've tried eggs with/without water in the brine, prefer no water.
Never a problem either way, just don't find it's needed.

I bet if you wanted to try distilled water, it would be different.
But I like my Vinegar straight.
Sometimes I just sink HB eggs into an emptied Pickle jar, and let them pickle in the brine.
But I'm not a fire eater like Chile is. Holy Moly, Chile!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky