Has anyone tried the Char-Broil Smoker Tube?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

julius

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 4, 2016
Los Angeles, Ca
Hi folks,

I know a lot of people here love their AMZN smoke generators, and I'm a huge fan myself. Just thought I'd ask if anyone has tried the new smoker tube from Char-Broil. I picked one up at my local target for $9.99+tax. Great bargain all things considered. I've used it twice now. Once with no meat in my MES 30 just to get an idea of burn time. And once with some chicken leg quarters that came out amazing! I'm fresh out of wood pellets so I loaded it up with Apple wood chips and little bit of broken up lump charcoal to help keep it lit. It ended up burning over 3 hours producing a good TBS. So far I think I like it. Curious if anybody else has seen it or used it?

Update,
I ordered a new bag of traeger mesquite pellets and did a trial run with this smoker tube using pellets. With my mes30 set at 275* the pellets burned and produced smoke for over 9 hours! Pretty dang good if you ask me!

I wonder if Char-Broil gets a Pass on Copyright infringement because it is a " Chip " Tube?...JJ

I wonder if Char-Broil gets a Pass on Copyright infringement because it is a " Chip " Tube?...JJ
Possibly... I think they say it's meant to go directly over a burner on a gas grill. But hey! It worked great for me. Like I said, I'm a huge fan of the AMZN smokers, but how can you beat $9.99 at target. I don't know about you guys but we make a trip to target at least once a week.

Ok. So i have a smoke hollow propane smoker. I saw this the other day and was wondering. Would I buy the traeger pellets and light it like you guys do the other one? I have been using wood chunks but want to do a brisket that is going to require a longer smoke time. So if I can get something to make me have to open the door less that could be a bonus

Ok. So i have a smoke hollow propane smoker. I saw this the other day and was wondering. Would I buy the traeger pellets and light it like you guys do the other one? I have been using wood chunks but want to do a brisket that is going to require a longer smoke time. So if I can get something to make me have to open the door less that could be a bonus

I use a propane torch to light mine. You can buy any type of smoke generator you'd like. I ended picking up this char-broil tube because it was so inexpensive, a lot of folks on here love the AMZN smokers because they really do a great job, but they are costly. As far as pellets go, you can use just about any brand. I used traeger pellets because I was able to get a 20lb bag for $12 and they burn pretty well. I know there are probably better pellets out there, but you should buy whichever brand you prefer.
And for long smokes I love using "aftermarket" smoke generators. As a matter of fact, I'm doing a pi shoulder right now and using this smoker tube.

Finally got around to getting this and gave it a try on the grill to smoke some hard boiled eggs.

Loaded it with Jim Beam chips and placed it on a single burner. Once it hot smoking I put the eggs on the far side of the grill.

Left them on for an hour and they turned out good!

Nice smoke!
I kinda like using mine the way you would use an AMZN tube. If you've got some pellets on hand, you should give it a try!

I have thought about getting one of these. Currently I place a small grate over to the right side of my grill over one of my burners heat defector and place a small chunk of applewood on it. I place a water pan on top of the cooking grate and set my chicken breasts off to the other side just to get some smoke flavor.

What I like about this one is that it works well filled with wood chips over a burner on a gas grill or filled with pellets and lifting one one end.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but Target just put these on clearance, so I am going to give it a shot.   Might try it with no meat in the box and see how well it works.  If it does ok, seems it is a better alternative to the tray I now use.  I will update when I give it a shot.  

Thanks for the info. I have a propane vertical smoker. I am thinking of using it instead of the chip. My question would be, do I set the tube on the chip tray? Or do I get it started and put it on the bottom shelf and run my smoker like normal? Do I take the chip tray out all together?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanx for any help.

Reactions: miamited
I don't know, but it looks like a rip off of Todds tube!!
The AMZN products are great and I'm a firm beliver of
Buy the best and buy it once!! And I like to support our own.. IMHO

Well here's the thing. Target had it for 5 bucks. I can try it out and see if I like it and then if I do buy Todd's for 50 or whatever it is. If I don't like it, I am only out 5 dollars. Papa once told me to start with the last expensive item and more up from there.

That's my thought process. Now, if you have Todd's and have any tips or tricks, please share. I am a new smoker and looking for all the help I can get.

Thanks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky