• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Has anyone tried "Beech" wood

backwoodssmoker

Fire Starter
Joined Nov 5, 2010
The Beech around me produce nuts, so can it be used for smokin or maybe fire base-wood then maple or other for smoke. I heat with Beech so I have lots of it.

backwoodssmoker

Fire Starter
Joined Nov 5, 2010
I burned it for the seasoning of my freg smoker, smelled real good.  I will try it and see.  Just wondered if there was anything negative. Thanks for that link 

bbally

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 24, 2007
Second only to aspen for grilling steaks.

Great wood for smoking.  Bacon, hams, pork, can use it on fish if you watch it.  Little heavy for fish but if you split it down it can be controlled.

Half way between alder and hickory.

smokeysooner

Fire Starter
Joined Nov 10, 2010
I wish I could get some. 

I used to live in Belgium when I was in the Air Force and fell in love with Ardennes ham (jamon ardennaise), which I have a recipe for and calls for beech.  I wish I could order a 10 pound bag.

alelover

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 9, 2010
Where do you get aspen from?

Last edited:

tjohnson

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Insider
Joined Dec 29, 2009
How much do you need?
I tried Aspen sawdust, but it burned too fast. It was very similar to Birch or even Maple.
I can get Aspen sawdust and chips

TJ

fghmx

Joined Jan 11, 2015
@ BackwoodSmoker

I know from Germany, the most experienced sausage maker in the world, that there they smoke ONLY with beech. And German sausage is famous all over the world. So famous that there are many companies in the US copying the recipes. My Q. to you: I am living in Mexico. Can you make and ship beech sawdust and maybe fruit tree sawdust? Like apple or others. THX.

lantzy75

Smoke Blower
Joined Nov 21, 2016
I picked up a bag of beech chips this past weekend. Looking forward to giving it a try.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

atomicsmoke

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 3, 2014
Beech is the only wood i use for traditional European sausages, hams, backfat. Is mild tasting yet smokey enough.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.