Has anyone tried "Beech" wood

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

backwoodssmoker

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 5, 2010
Northern Michigan
The Beech around me produce nuts, so can it be used for smokin or maybe fire base-wood then maple or other for smoke. I heat with Beech so I have lots of it.

I burned it for the seasoning of my freg smoker, smelled real good.  I will try it and see.  Just wondered if there was anything negative. Thanks for that link 

Second only to aspen for grilling steaks.

Great wood for smoking.  Bacon, hams, pork, can use it on fish if you watch it.  Little heavy for fish but if you split it down it can be controlled.

Half way between alder and hickory.

I wish I could get some. 

I used to live in Belgium when I was in the Air Force and fell in love with Ardennes ham (jamon ardennaise), which I have a recipe for and calls for beech.  I wish I could order a 10 pound bag.

How much do you need?
I tried Aspen sawdust, but it burned too fast. It was very similar to Birch or even Maple.
I can get Aspen sawdust and chips

TJ

@ BackwoodSmoker

I know from Germany, the most experienced sausage maker in the world, that there they smoke ONLY with beech. And German sausage is famous all over the world. So famous that there are many companies in the US copying the recipes. My Q. to you: I am living in Mexico. Can you make and ship beech sawdust and maybe fruit tree sawdust? Like apple or others. THX.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky