Has anyone ever...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

alelover

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Has anyone ever cold smoked a Prime rib (or any other big hunk-o-beef) then roasted it the next day on the rotisserie? I'd love to smoke one for NYE but I will not have the time to tend it all day. I was thinking if I cold smoked it then roasted it the next day I could get some smoke flavor and save hours of time. Anyone ever tried anything like that?

The only way I can see that it could be done without violating Food Safety Standards is if you could keep the temps under 40 degrees before, during, and after the cold smoke part of it until you are ready for the cooking part of it.

icon_cool.gif

I'm with Jerry on this one. I don't think it would be a good Idea. Now a prime rib wouldn't take that long and what kind of tending do you really need to do.

You can smoke it while you roast it. Put some chips in foil with a few holes poked in it and lay it over the burner. I smoke pizza and steaks, chops and hamburgers this way on the grill. It really works well. I also bought a small smokin box that's made just for smokin on the grill.

The only way I can see that it could be done without violating Food Safety Standards is if you could keep the temps under 40 degrees before, during, and after the cold smoke part of it until you are ready for the cooking part of it.
yea, i'm with piney on this one........they really don't take that long to smoke, try 250-275 deg.

You can smoke it while you roast it. Put some chips in foil with a few holes poked in it and lay it over the burner. I smoke pizza and steaks, chops and hamburgers this way on the grill. It really works well. I also bought a small smokin box that's made just for smokin on the grill.
To me this is the only safe way to accomplish this. Unless you live somewhere that you can keep the temps in that box down below 40 you are really risking disaster for you and your guests.  I too have done the foil packet process many a time before getting my smoker. I usually keep the meat a burner or two over from the foil packet so if it burns it does not go right into the meat - keep the foil packets off to the side of the burner so that you just barely get some smoke out of it and heat the other burners to cook normally

It's been pretty cold down here in NC lately. My plan was to cold smoke at less than 40 the night before then roast it in my rotisserie. If it was warmer than that I wasn't going to it that way. I haven't poisoned anyone yet, don't want to start now. How long should a 5 pounder take to smoke normally?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky