Happy Veterans Day 2013

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gringodave

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 9, 2013
Tucson, AZ
As I consider posting the ubiquitous "Happy Veterans Day" post this morning - my first thought was that it is kind of self serving. Self serving because I am a veteran having served nearly 27 years in the Air Force, active duty, air national guard and reserves, and then I remember all of those wonderful airmen that I served with. People like me who put 'normal' life on hold to serve his or her country. I also remember the Soldiers, Sailors and Marines that I served with and the millions that I never knew. I think of those serving now - many in harms way - and the families that modify their lives so their loved ones can fulfill their commitment to our country.

With that in mind, I say Happy Veterans Day to all!!!

My thoughts wonder to the image of three men in their nineties, each holding a silver goblet filled with 1896 Hennessy Cognac, toasting their 76 fellow airmen who have long since passed (the Doolittle Raiders) for the last time. My heart is filled with pride for them and what they have done. I am proud and grateful for my service and I am mindful of all who have served, are serving and will serve in the future. 

Thank you veterans and your families! Each and every one of you!

Sincerely,

GingoDave

(I know this has nothing to do with food - but I've noticed many veterans posting here and wanted to thank them.)

Well said, Dave, thank you!  It was my intention to begin a similar thread...you beat me to it.  

To all those who ever served, or who are currently serving, in our great nation's military, a heartfelt Thank You for your service and sacrifice.

usa.gif

Red

Last edited:
Here in Canada we call it Remembrance Day. Different name, same purpose. Remember those who have served and honour them with those who still serve. 

I solemnly do both.

Disco

Last edited:
For myself, it just another day as a tired old vet.

I celebrate it only for my brothers, their families and loved ones.

Especially a day for pause for those who didn't come home.
[h2]"Never again will one generation of veterans abandon another."[/h2]
Welcome home!

Good luck and good smoking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky