Handy Man Stan

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thank you to whoever edited Stans profile to say “Gone but not forgotten RIP”.

man I miss my friend…

Scott I've been doing it way to often in the last year we've lost some great members who have helped a lot of members of SMF. I'm sure they helped lots of people outside SMF that were fortunate enough to know them as well. In the last year or so we've lost three or four members that I had met and become good friends with and it hurts.

Smoke on my friend.. I’ve only met Stan one time back in 2017 at the fatty contest…

dang it’s been that long. My side catering business has kept me from returning hopefully this year it works out and we can tip one back for Stan. Thanks for the post Scott.

Attachments

• 195D4B92-8A02-4B6D-A883-99FA5AD958A3.jpeg
    195D4B92-8A02-4B6D-A883-99FA5AD958A3.jpeg
    135.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 62AB301D-30F0-439A-AAEE-781A0B2D8E9E.jpeg
    62AB301D-30F0-439A-AAEE-781A0B2D8E9E.jpeg
    112 KB · Views: 17
I’m very sorry to have to let the SMF community know that our good friend @handymanstan has passed away.

Stan was a great man who I met on these forums and became great friends with. We’d get together a few times a year(before covid) for the fattie contest, or to smoke something.
I met him at @kingfishcam first ever Michigan smokers event and we soon became really good friends despite our age difference.

he invited me to his house to teach me how to smoke cheese and next thing I know he’s coming out to my place to make sticks and summer sausage, or to make hot sauce. he met all my friends and became friends with them all. Stan, Cam, Motz, and myself became known as the Round Table.

Stan became a regular at the fattie contests and was always helping me out. He’d have to remind me to check the brisket or ribs all the time since I had so much going on. Might have had to do with the beer as well. Lol. Stan was always helping me by basically being a timer.

stan was always willing to help out at our events. He’d set up and tear down. He’d help smoke, and judge. There is nothing he wouldn’t, or didn’t do to help my wife and I. And he offered to help plenty of people learn to smoke whatever they needed help with. He was always offering me money to help with the costs because he knew holding parties for 200 people was expensive. I would always tell him his help was more valuable than his money. And it truly was.

i met Stan’s dogs a few times and he met mine yearly. Hooper & Scout loved when stan visited because he paid so much attention to them. Stan was a big dog guy and that combined with bbq is why we got along so well. I always took the time to listen to Stan because I had so much to learn from him. Not just about bbq or dogs, just about life in general.

Stan was a great man and a great friend to me personally. I know he meant a lot to plenty of other people he met through me and many others. It breaks my heart to know I’m not going to hear his voice or see him pulling down my drive for another bbq event. My wife and I are broken up over this. I was in Lousiana hunting when I got a voice mail from his wife and I knew it wasn’t going to be good. I took everything in me to keep it together as I spoke with her. Then to call my wife…. Her exact words were “Mr. Stan…..” and she was crying. This is a big one for us personally. I can only imagine how his wife and children feel. Please pray for them. And if you have any memories of him from this page please share them. Stan helped a lot of people with questions and stuff on this page. It’s been a while since he was really an active member but he was at one time. If you have any stories please share them.

here is a link to his obituary:

@kingfishcam jokensmoken jokensmoken hillbillyrkstr hillbillyrkstr @handymanstan @humdinger robbq robbq

View attachment 521864
this is Stan & myself at the 2019 fattie contest right before he left. It was the last time I saw him in person due to Covid.

I miss & love you friend. I will see you again!

Scott
That's sad news.
I met Stan when I went to my first fatty contest at smoker Scott's. We immediately became friends; he was
like that, always smiling, friendly, easy going and helpful.
Stan made me feel welcome and like "one of the gang" right off the bat and even though we'd just met, I felt like I'd know him for years.
I know I'll think of him often especially when I'm smoking.
RIP Stan.

I would like to apologize for messing up my original post, my brain read Sam instead of Stan.
I've not been myself the past few days, I'm laid out on the living room floor with my back out for the past few days. Once again, my apologies, how stupid of me, I'm so sorry about that mistake.
Dan.

I would like to apologize for messing up my original post, my brain read Sam instead of Stan.
I've not been myself the past few days, I'm laid out on the living room floor with my back out for the past few days. Once again, my apologies, how stupid of me, I'm so sorry about that mistake.
Dan.

no need to apologize. Thank you for your kind words. I’m sure Stan appreciates them.

scott

What a beautiful tribute. I'm crying and I don't know either of you. My thoughts are with all his family and friends. Thanks for sharing your story with us Scott.
Thank you tex. I appreciate that and I know Stan does as well. I wish you could have met him. He was truly a great man. Never blinked when someone asked for help and a lot of the time you never had to ask for help cause he’d volunteer to help first. Always giving because he loved the idea of a smokers community. He truly loved and appreciated every get together no matter the size. 200 plus people at the fattie contest or just 3-4 of us making sauce or smoking cheese.
I really miss him.

scott

I’m very sorry to have to let the SMF community know that our good friend @handymanstan has passed away.

Stan was a great man who I met on these forums and became great friends with. We’d get together a few times a year(before covid) for the fattie contest, or to smoke something.
I met him at @kingfishcam first ever Michigan smokers event and we soon became really good friends despite our age difference.

he invited me to his house to teach me how to smoke cheese and next thing I know he’s coming out to my place to make sticks and summer sausage, or to make hot sauce. he met all my friends and became friends with them all. Stan, Cam, Motz, and myself became known as the Round Table.

Stan became a regular at the fattie contests and was always helping me out. He’d have to remind me to check the brisket or ribs all the time since I had so much going on. Might have had to do with the beer as well. Lol. Stan was always helping me by basically being a timer.

stan was always willing to help out at our events. He’d set up and tear down. He’d help smoke, and judge. There is nothing he wouldn’t, or didn’t do to help my wife and I. And he offered to help plenty of people learn to smoke whatever they needed help with. He was always offering me money to help with the costs because he knew holding parties for 200 people was expensive. I would always tell him his help was more valuable than his money. And it truly was.

i met Stan’s dogs a few times and he met mine yearly. Hooper & Scout loved when stan visited because he paid so much attention to them. Stan was a big dog guy and that combined with bbq is why we got along so well. I always took the time to listen to Stan because I had so much to learn from him. Not just about bbq or dogs, just about life in general.

Stan was a great man and a great friend to me personally. I know he meant a lot to plenty of other people he met through me and many others. It breaks my heart to know I’m not going to hear his voice or see him pulling down my drive for another bbq event. My wife and I are broken up over this. I was in Lousiana hunting when I got a voice mail from his wife and I knew it wasn’t going to be good. I took everything in me to keep it together as I spoke with her. Then to call my wife…. Her exact words were “Mr. Stan…..” and she was crying. This is a big one for us personally. I can only imagine how his wife and children feel. Please pray for them. And if you have any memories of him from this page please share them. Stan helped a lot of people with questions and stuff on this page. It’s been a while since he was really an active member but he was at one time. If you have any stories please share them.

@kingfishcam jokensmoken jokensmoken hillbillyrkstr hillbillyrkstr @handymanstan @humdinger robbq robbq

View attachment 521864
this is Stan & myself at the 2019 fattie contest right before he left. It was the last time I saw him in person due to Covid.

Scott

View attachment 521864

Scott
He was a good man. When i first met him and you..and all at that matter. It was the first fattie contest. I knew know one. But took a chance on doing this get together to meet others. It was the best decision i could've made. The next few contests, i fastly became friends wuth Stan over chatting and drink. He was wise, also a great sense if humor. Only had a few cherished momentsbwith him. But it was grand!..
Rest in peace my brother. You had a long battle. But made your place in the world.
ROB AKA...ROBBQ

Scott I've been doing it way to often in the last year we've lost some great members who have helped a lot of members of SMF. I'm sure they helped lots of people outside SMF that were fortunate enough to know them as well. In the last year or so we've lost three or four members that I had met and become good friends with and it hurts.
Yeah piney I’m tired of losing good people who I had to distance because of this “pandemic”. It cost me plenty of time with Stan and that makes everything worse. I’m sorry everyone who’s in the same boat. Losing loved ones is tough enough so to not be able to see them for a year or two before is just brutal.
He was a good man. When i first met him and you..and all at that matter. It was the first fattie contest. I knew know one. But took a chance on doing this get together to meet others. It was the best decision i could've made. The next few contests, i fastly became friends wuth Stan over chatting and drink. He was wise, also a great sense if humor. Only had a few cherished momentsbwith him. But it was grand!..
Rest in peace my brother. You had a long battle. But made your place in the world.
ROB AKA...ROBBQ
Well said Robb!
same here on taking a chance and showing up at the get together a year before we started the fattie contest. That decision had a huge impact on my life. I met stan, cam, and Motz. Then a year later right after the first fattie contest I moved out to the ranch and the rest is history. Life long friends. Just wish we had more time.

scott

Reactions: humdinger
Such a beautiful note you write about your friends passing, very moving. While I did not know him it is obvious he will be missed by many. My condolences to all who knew and loved him.

Reactions: hillbillyrkstr
Very sorry for the loss of Stan. Your tribute is beautiful and truly heartfelt. It brings to life how beloved Stan was. Our Families' prayers for Stan, his Family and you and yours.

Reactions: hillbillyrkstr
Very sorry for the loss of Stan. Your tribute is beautiful and truly heartfelt. It brings to life how beloved Stan was. Our Families' prayers for Stan, his Family and you and yours.
I appreciate that. Really crazy to think if it wasn’t for this forum and the first Michigan smokers gathering I’d have never met a guy who would become a life long friend.

scott

Such a beautiful note you write about your friends passing, very moving. While I did not know him it is obvious he will be missed by many. My condolences to all who knew and loved him.
Thank you. Stan was liked by everyone who met him. A great tribute to a great man when your gone and nobody has a bad thing to say about you. I knew him for only a few months and next thing I know I’m driving an hour to his house to smoke cheese.

scott

I appreciate that. Really crazy to think if it wasn’t for this forum and the first Michigan smokers gathering I’d have never met a guy who would become a life long friend.

scott
It is crazy the way things work out as we go through life. Constant reminders how short Life is, so we must make the most of it every day.

It is crazy the way things work out as we go through life. Constant reminders how short Life is, so we must make the most of it every day.
Even though I don’t always do that I couldn’t agree more.

scott

I'll miss Stan too; I think I spent more time in MI talking to Stan then any one else at the Fattie contests.

He definitely made you feel like you had always been around and he could share alot of knowledge; I wish I had gotten to spend more time with him. He was always one of those people I looked forward to spending an afternoon with. Even my father liked to spend hours talking with him because of all the things he had dabbled in.

May you find peace where ever your journey takes you now Stan.

I am truly sorry for your loss Scott, I know how close you two were.

Reactions: JC in GB
Smoke on my friend.. I’ve only met Stan one time back in 2017 at the fatty contest…

dang it’s been that long. My side catering business has kept me from returning hopefully this year it works out and we can tip one back for Stan. Thanks for the post Scott.
Yeah angler I’ve already tipped back a few for Stan. Working on what we talked about earlier in the week. Working on a date. I’ll get back to you soon.

scott

Reactions: anglerman
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky