Ham Twins (Double Smoked)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Good job Bear,  gotta love the price on those especially around easter!  they look mighty tasty   im sure there wasnt many leftovers

Bear,

Nice looking hams. I have a couple of questions, in the picture you posted with the door to the MES open what is in the water pan next to AMNS? I have been putting my AMNS on the wire supports below the water pan with water in the pan. How does not using water in the pan work for you?

Mark

Bear,

Nice looking hams. I have a couple of questions, in the picture you posted with the door to the MES open what is in the water pan next to AMNS? I have been putting my AMNS on the wire supports below the water pan with water in the pan. How does not using water in the pan work for you?

Mark
Thanks Mark,
I very seldom use water in my pan. I use it for ribs, because I don't want to open the door for spritzing (especially in Winter), but anything that I don't worry about drying out doesn't get water in my pan. Some things I want to dry out quite a bit too, like Dried Beef.

When I do put water in my pan, I put the AMNS at the same place as you do.

In this picture, I have a firebrick covered with foil, sitting in the pan, and I set my AMNS on that.

With the 1200 watt element in my MES 40, I don't need water in the pan for heat sink.

Bear

Man that looks great.. nice job bet it was tasty
icon14.gif

Looks great Bear! I think this is ham weekend. I got one going in the smoker today too.
Thanks Al,

Can't beat the flavor of this stuff for only 79¢ per pound!

Bear

A great post as usual for the Bearmeister. Excellent job my friend, looks like Giant came through for you again.
Thank You,

I think we'll keep shopping there!

Bear

Good job Bear,  gotta love the price on those especially around easter!  they look mighty tasty   im sure there wasnt many leftovers
Thanks Rick!

Actually I did freeze a couple "two day meals" for me & the Mrs, and only kept out enough for Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, and a couple small sample containers for our Son.

Bear

Bear,

Mark

Sorry Mark,

I just noticed I answered one question, but missed the one I changed to red.

That thing to the right is just an old foil pan folded up. My heat was getting higher on the right than the left, so I threw that in there to block some heat from going up that right side, just to finish this smoke.

I hope you get to see this again to get your answer!

Bear

Hey Bear first first I want to say thanks for being so helpful.   I was looking at picture showing the inside of your smoker and noticed that it appears that you prefer to use the hickory dust in a seperate container from the drawer on the smoker for wood chips and chunks.  I have no clue where to buy the hickory dust or how to use it.  I have not seen it in Vegas.  But I will do a search for a site that sells it.   When do you use the dust rather than chips?  Thank you Ivie

Hey Bear first first I want to say thanks for being so helpful.   I was looking at picture showing the inside of your smoker and noticed that it appears that you prefer to use the hickory dust in a seperate container from the drawer on the smoker for wood chips and chunks.  I have no clue where to buy the hickory dust or how to use it.  I have not seen it in Vegas.  But I will do a search for a site that sells it.   When do you use the dust rather than chips?  Thank you Ivie
Thank You Ivie !

I am using a very special little gadget that everyone loves.

They come in various styles.

There is one ( AMNS )that only uses dust, and is made for cold & warm smoking.

If you use it above 200˚, you could have a problem with improper burn.

The other is the "AMNPS", which can burn pellets or dust, and can be used at any smoker temp.

With pellets you can go as high as your smoker will go, without a problem.

And when you use this, you can fill it, and get it burning real good, and put it in your smoker.

Then you can sit back and relax for up to 12 hours without even touching it, the whole time getting PERFECT smoke.

Here is where you can see them, and buy one, if you'd like.

The guy who invented & sells these things is a very respected member of this forum---"Todd Johnson".

Link:

http://www.amazenproducts.com/

What he has is an A-MAZE-N-SMOKER.  It is a box used for burning dust or there is a pellet version of it out now too.  It is a simple addition to any smoker.  It makes using the MES a breeze!  You should be able to track down pellets a little easier then dust!  Or just order it all from Todd he is the guy that builds the smokers 

http://www.amazenproducts.com/

oops looks like I posted this one right after Bear!!

Last edited:
LOL---It happens to me a lot, because I type so slowly. 

Bear

Now I KNOW that is way TOO MUCH Ham for You and the BearLady...I realize those Two are gone, but the NEXT time...I'm headin' EAST!...JJ

Now I KNOW that is way TOO MUCH Ham for You and the BearLady...I realize those Two are gone, but the NEXT time...I'm headin' EAST!...JJ
LOL---Thanks Jimmy!!

Bear

Nice wind deflector..lol    good looking ham great job
Thanks Billy!!

LOL---Yeah, it was kinda an emergency wind break.

I keep forgetting---I want to make an aluminum one, with slotted screw holes & such.

Maybe even Velcro.

Bear

I think I dated them in High School.
devil.gif

Just kidding. They really weren't named Ham.

BTW. your hams look awesome bear. Great deal on them too.
Thanks Scott!!!

The ones I knew weren't named "Ham" either.  
biggrin.gif

Bear

I'm going to this to a whole smoked/cooked, bone in ham from Sam's for Easter. Going to give it some cherry smoke. I am planning on putting it in the smoker around 10PM and smoking smoking at 130. I'll get up early and check things and put it in a cooler when it reaches 130. Going to serve it at 1:00. Does this sound reasonable for a 20 pounder?

Last edited:
I'm going to this to a whole smoked/cooked, bone in ham from Sam's for Easter. Going to give it some cherry smoke. I am planning on putting it in the smoker around 10PM and smoking smoking at 130. I'll get up early and check things and put it in a cooler when it reaches 130. Going to serve it at 1:00. Does this sound reasonable for a 20 pounder?
I don't think it will get to 130 IT if you're smoker temp is only at 130, even though that's 15 hours. You might have to jack it up a bit.

Bear

I don't think it will get to 130 IT if you're smoker temp is only at 130, even though that's 15 hours. You might have to jack it up a bit.

Bear
Maybe a little higher....140. I will put the spurs to the smoker early in the morning. Thanks!

wow man, great set up, im at 5am now on easter ready to shove mine in the smoker.....Awesome dude, one of your glazes gonna get used, TY

wow man, great set up, im at 5am now on easter ready to shove mine in the smoker.....Awesome dude, one of your glazes gonna get used, TY
Just noticed this.

Hope All was well !!!
Bear I used Glaze #1 today and it was a huge hit. Thank you for sharing your recipe.

Jeramy
That's Great !!!

Real Glad you like it !!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky