Ham steaks on the kettle

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sowsage

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 18, 2017
Maplewood OH
Been playing with my kettle a lot since I got it..love it!
I dont normally do ham steaks unless I can find some cut from the picnic instead of the ham. I like the picnic better because they have a little more fat.I dont see them often but happened accross some the other day so I grabbed them

This was perfect for a weeknight dinner. It's quick and easy.

I mix up 1/3 CUP yellow mustard and 1/4 cup brown sugar
0104211936a.jpg

Coat all sides then out to the grill. Couple min per side to heat them up and get some nice grill marks on them.
0104211942_HDR.jpg

Off the grill
0104212120a_HDR.jpg

We had them with some leftover scalloped potatoes and some peas.
0104212245.jpg

Was a nice meal! Everyone cleared their plates!
Thanks fo taking a look!

I love ham steaks, but the reason I don't use a picnic is the exact reason you do. LOL.
Gary
Lol....well next time I'll be sure to throw a extra one on from the ham for you! The wife likes those better too.

Love a good ham steak!! Been eating them for as long as I can remember. I know mom kept them in the freezer all the time when I was a kid and I looked forward to them whenever she decided to cook one. Them taters look pretty tasty too. Can't help but like that little char on them.

Robert

Sowsage Sowsage loving my kettle too. Got some chicken breast marinating to go on it later. I did some steaks in the smoker the other day and used the kettle to get a reverse sear on them. Your ham steaks and that plate looks great.
Jim

Love a good ham steak!! Been eating them for as long as I can remember. I know mom kept them in the freezer all the time when I was a kid and I looked forward to them whenever she decided to cook one. Them taters look pretty tasty too. Can't help but like that little char on them.

Robert
Thanks Robert ! These were pretty good. Seems most the ham steaks I find around here are just thick cut boneless ham. Nice to have a real one! Those taters are the the goat cheese and roasted garlic ones i had leftover from when I cooked one of your steaks. They are soooo good!

Nothing wrong with ham steaks on the grill a favorite around here done often.

Warren
Warren, if i could find good ones more often id probably do them a lot...guess I need to just keep a better eye out for them.

Sowsage Sowsage loving my kettle too. Got some chicken breast marinating to go on it later. I did some steaks in the smoker the other day and used the kettle to get a reverse sear on them. Your ham steaks and that plate looks great.
Jim
Thanks Jim! I have some thighs in the freezer I need to get out. Doing a ribeye cap tonight for tacos! Ive been looking at all the goodies I can buy for the kettle.....ive got a long list of things on a wish list lol!

Reactions: JLeonard
I take it this was a meal from your childhood??
We were on vacation in Kentucky . My Dad took me to breakfast ( before my sisters got up )
at a road side place . Sat up at the bar and had a ham steak , eggs and toast . I think I was 10 or so .
Still remember that smokey , salty bone in ham slice . I think they must have fried it in a glaze .
Salty / sweet and smokey .

We were on vacation in Kentucky . My Dad took me to breakfast ( before my sisters got up )
at a road side place . Sat up at the bar and had a ham steak , eggs and toast . I think I was 10 or so .
Still remember that smokey , salty bone in ham slice . I think they must have fried it in a glaze .
Salty / sweet and smokey .
Thats awesome! Its funny how much certain foods can trigger a memory.

We buy ham slices at Sam's Club they are Smithfield brand come 3 in a pack for around $15. Wife will go through the hold stack to pick out the ones she wants.

Warren

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky