Ham/potato soup (chowder)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinEdge

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 18, 2020
Western Colorado
This has evolved over the years. I used to start this with a rue, but now just roll with heavy cream and milk for the base and reduce, then add water when it gets thick. I do this with cream gravy as well, no rue just straight heavy cream. It’s fantastic. Not heart heathy but delicious just the same.
So I first go in with a half stick of butter and sauté diced onion and garlic.
7CB2ECA0-D9BF-4B84-8587-F86B99E31672.jpeg

Then I add about a 1/3 c of white wine, Riesling in this case, then add the home made diced ham to soak up some of that wine.
8F951CFB-CD05-4D0B-B8AC-AF7086179EBD.jpeg

Fresh cracked pepper and simmer a bit to incorporate the flavors and add about 3 tsp of Knorr chicken bouillon (this is a specific brand choice). Add
4D477C5E-16E1-451D-88CA-E63D34404E36.jpeg

add 1 quart heavy cream, 1 quart whole milk and the diced potatoes. Let this simmer until broth is reduced and potatoes are done. I’ll post the finish that is garnished with shredded cheddar and minced chives.

That looks fantastic! Mmm, cream base soups, definitely not heart healthy, but they are good for the soul! Can’t wait to see the finished shot!

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Very nice. Got some Potato Soup fans here. We like to try different varieties. German, French, Tuscan, Polish. Now another to try... JJ

Sure looks good . I like the cheese and chives on top . My son has a fantastic potato soup he does in the crock pot . I was leery at first , but man it's some of the best soup I've ever eaten .

just roll with heavy cream and milk for the base and reduce, then add water when it gets thick.
I'm with you on this . Been doing the same with beef or chicken stock . Reduce by half no thickener added .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky