Ham Loin? Loin Ham? Foamheart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

foamheart

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Ok, I saw Woodcutters and was inspired between his thread and the 7.00/lb sliced ham from the deli.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/151349/deli-style-ham-sliced-and-shaved-100-bucks-worth

Started with a beautiful Loin from Sam's, 9.5lbs. I made a Pop's brine and started injecting, I can't believe that Woodcutter injected all those loins!

Pops Brine Recipe w/ my modifiers

2/3C Brown Sugar

2/3C Maple syrup

1/2C Canning Salt

1/4C Jacque Daniels

1T Maple Extract

1T Pink Cure #1

A gazillion injections later!

Front, Back, Sideways, coming and going, no spot was left to feel unloved.

Below is my premium quality, NSF, specialty brine bucket (they are all over the barn)

after two weeks in the brine, washed, cut, dried, tied, and left overnight in the reefer to dry some more.

So we started an AMPS with Apple over Corn Cob, that is some thin, really thin, blue smoke escaping.

A wittle bit better smoke, meat has dried already so now I smoke with a near closed vent to use less pellets and since its a cold smoke, and its cool this morning its not moving any moisture.

Planning on using some hickory when I go to cooking later on this afternoon. Well that's it for now..... got to go and wash and dry a corned beef......

Check back for further updates.

Last edited:
Do you tie them to try to get a more round shape.

I have 2 loins curing and they are flat.

Interesting brine! It will be fun to see what the Maple Syrup and Jacque Daniels does. And just for the record it is easier to inject a bunch of loins than it is to tie them.

Anxiously waiting!

Do you tie them to try to get a more round shape.

I have 2 loins curing and they are flat.
I have left mine flat but someone did a post where they tied the two loins together before smoking. They did the tin ends against the thick ends and it came out in a great round shape. Sorry, I don't remember the post but a bit of searching should find it.

Great looking loins Foamheart. 

Disco

I would like to get a round shape before smoking them.

They look terrible flat.

Interesting brine! It will be fun to see what the Maple Syrup and Jacque Daniels does. And just for the record it is easier to inject a bunch of loins than it is to tie them.

Anxiously waiting!
I like Maple syrup so much I should have moved to the NE to save the freight. Oppps... you reminded me I need to add an adjustment to that brine. I dare to differ my friend, I can tie 'em faster than I injected 'em. It's really easy to tie, its simply involves movement memory.

I am about to believe that my Amazin just ain't made for a MES30. The little spot on the lower left, when pressed up against the inner wall, there just ain't enough circulation. On a MES40 it has loads of room, but with the 30 its just to tight. I have just about set a new rule, if I can't get it up on a meat rack, use chips. <shrugs>

I have left mine flat but someone did a post where they tied the two loins together before smoking. They did the tin ends against the thick ends and it came out in a great round shape. Sorry, I don't remember the post but a bit of searching should find it.

Great looking loins Foamheart. 

Disco
Now I always tie my tenderloins like what you say, I do it for a consistent thickness on my meat for cooking. You know how small a tenderloin can get and if you don't double it and tie it, its easy for one side to be pink and the other end is burnt or dry. Even tying 'em back makes the thickness uniform and being a good chef you know its all about uniformity be it chopping veggies or meat thickness.

Anyway, that is why I do it usually. Besides tying is no big thing to me, just takes a few mins., it brined for 2 weeks a few mins isn't much.

BTW the brine bucket is empty....Oh my. LOL.... but have no fear! The neighbor is bringing some wild rabbits today to brine and smoke. He says he has some redfish filets, thinking about trying a fish smoke too while its cool.

Anxiously waiting!
I like Maple syrup so much I should have moved to the NE to save the freight. Oppps... you reminded me I need to add an adjustment to that brine. I dare to differ my friend, I can tie 'em faster than I injected 'em. It's really easy to tie, its simply involves movement memory.

I am about to believe that my Amazin just ain't made for a MES30. The little spot on the lower left, when pressed up against the inner wall, there just ain't enough circulation. On a MES40 it has loads of room, but with the 30 its just to tight. I have just about set a new rule, if I can't get it up on a meat rack, use chips. <shrugs>
My brother has a Smokin Tex that his AMNPS would not work in. Scarbelly had thread where he drilled a few 1/2" holes in the floor and that took care of the problem. It works great now that it gets oyxegan. He has small piece of metal laying on the floor of his smoker that covers the holes with when not in use.

I guess I am going to have to go back to the Bearcraver refresher course on smoking bacon and tuning MOPAR's .......
I had a '68 Satellite convertible that I kept running with an emery board, a roll of duck tape and a spool of thin wire...

Come to think of it, I've had those 3 items in every vehicle I've had for the last 25 years or so, just in case.

Can't help you with the smoking of the CB though. Don't have an MES and my little smoker gets plenty of air for my home made tube smoker to keep going.

I had a '68 Satellite convertible that I kept running with an emery board, a roll of duck tape and a spool of thin wire...

Come to think of it, I've had those 3 items in every vehicle I've had for the last 25 years or so, just in case.

Can't help you with the smoking of the CB though. Don't have an MES and my little smoker gets plenty of air for my home made tube smoker to keep going.

Ya know just this evening the neighbor told me his brother had send in the paperwork for a clear title on a car he's had in the yard for awhile. 68 roadrunner

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky