Ham for a Beer Festival

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Titus

Original poster
May 8, 2018
Hi

MY two pork bellies have now been in ‘Pops” brine for nine days.

Previously I had cured brisket for salt beef in a bucket which I kept in an outbuilding. However this was always done for Christmas and I underestimated the fickle English weather. Summer temperatures in spring forced me to renew the brine and move indoors under refrigeration.

I plan to smoke these within the next few days when time allows.

At this point however I am struck by the massive reduction in salt with ‘Pops’ brine compared to my old recipe for salt beef.

It just makes sense.

All that rinsing to reduce the salt previously.

I will update after smoking and taste tests.

Any way the next project is to make a ham for the Local Beer Festival.

Family are flying in for this so the pressure is on.

The ham press I picked up years ago in a boot sale the syringe is a new purchase.

At this point the plan is to soak and inject with ‘Pops” brine and then after smoking whilst the meat is still hot use the press to get that characteristic “Wiltshire ham” shape. I plan to buy a deboned ‘green” pork shoulder from my friend the local butcher.

I would be grateful for any and all advice

Titus
Bacon curing.JPG
ham Press.JPG

Welcome to SMF! I will look forward to seeing and hearing more about this:)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky