Ham Eye?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tjohnson

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Insider
Dec 29, 2009
Savage, MN
Just got a "Ham Eye" from my neighbor and don't know what the heck it is?

Help Please........

Todd

i dunno todd, but it's gotta taste better than a fish eye!

Bump

Trying to figure it out and what to do with it. Cure and smoke it like ham?

Anyone??

TJ

Any Qview of it?  Could be a shank portion, could be the eye of the round of the ham, several different possibilities.  Wouldn't know until I saw it - so many different colloquial depictions for the same cut of meat.  If it's raw pork then you'd most likely would have to cure and smoke it.

That would be my best guess too---The pork equivalent of a Beef Eye Round Roast.

Does it look anything like the beginning of my "Dried Beef" post in my signature?

or Eye of Newt???

Bear

I tried Google and Bing and they both came up with nothing

My guess is if you post a pic Pops can tell ya what it is

Here's a pic of the "Ham Eye".  I already froze it, but I looks like a few separate muscles in the package

Thanks for trying to figure it out.

Don't know if i should cure it for ham or BBB or what??

Todd

It's pork! That I'm sure of
icon_smile.gif

Doing a search for "Ham eye" I found nothing.  Seeing the picture, it doesn't look like any ham I've seen. My best guess, is that it's some bit of meat near the back end of the hog, but not ham.

If it were donut shaped I would guess it's a "Butt Hole", but not!

Todd

I found a description.

its the pork leg eye muscle, simular to the beef eye of round, and comes from the outside muscle of the ham.  it is aconcidered a low cost cut of meat as the price is tied to the fresh leg (ham) price and not the loin or tender loin prices.

Steve

Cool!

My neighbor is a meat buyer for a large chain of restaurants and the processor is trying to get them to use this "Ham Eye" as part of their menu. 

I'm not sure if it should be cured and sliced like ham or what to do with it.

TJ

Todd,

What's the size & weight on that thing? It looks pretty small, but nothing in pic to compare to.

Bear

Cool!

My neighbor is a meat buyer for a large chain of restaurants and the processor is trying to get them to use this "Ham Eye" as part of their menu. 

I'm not sure if it should be cured and sliced like ham or what to do with it.

TJ
TJ they are prolly the size of a lg pork tenderloin , cure em with BBB cure and they will make a nice tasty lean ham similar to CB .

If you could thaw it and unwrap it, it could be identified; probably the leg eye of round.  Your choices are like any other pork product; cook it fresh like roast pork, cure it and serve it in a dish as salted pork like baked beans, or cure it and smoke it as a ham product.   Of course there are as many variations as nickels in the 7 seas for seasonings, etc.  What dish or dishes is it intended for?   

Yes, leg eye of round.  Not unlike beef eye of round, it will have a more pronounced, coarser grain than the loin coming from the leg, indicating how hard the muscle has been worked, providing support and weight-bearing.  It would be fine for moist cooking or roasting intact with the rest of the leg, but separately it may toughen up quickly.  As a ham product the curing breaks down the connective tissue to help tenderize it. It wouldn't take much to bring it up to 205° to pull it, but a pork shoulder would be more economical and practical. 

I'm with Pops on this one (Can't go wrong agreeing with him).

Actually the guy who posted #5 had it right all along.

Personally, I'd cure & smoke those little beggers!

Bear

Just throw it on the smoker with some brown sugar and a bit of honey. Its awesome. I make these all the time when I am smoking for a snack. I put three of them on yesterday while making my chuckies. Two were just straight on nothing added as I am going to use it for corn chowder this week/weekend at bow camp and the last one I put a bunch of asian sweet and spicy sauce on it and it was great. It usually only takes around an hour or so to give it a nice smokey kiss and heat it up real good.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky