Halupkis (With a Bear Story)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
Halupkis (With a Bear Story)

This is actually a Mrs Bear Story, but I get to share in the rewards.

So about 40 years ago, we got audited, due to an H & R Block screw-up, and it made this Bear Growl. It also got Mrs Bear growling, which isn’t an easy thing to do. We hadn’t done anything wrong, but the paperwork was wrong.

Mrs Bear said, “Nobody is ever going to do our Income Tax again, but me!!” So she signed up & went to the H & R Block Income Tax Night School, and got a part-time job with them. She worked a couple years for them, and took an offer to run an Income Tax office at a Nationwide Insurance Office. Meanwhile a lot of people ended up following her to the new office. The one guy didn’t know where she went, so he just started calling all the Income Tax offices in the phone book, asking for her, until he found her.

So after about 5 years, she quit that job, and her full time job to work full time for our Son in his Tower Corporation. However when she left that office, she felt bad for some of the older people, and told them she would continue to do their Taxes at our house, if they wanted her to.

Anyway for many years she’s been doing about 20 to 25 Income taxes at our house, and one of the Old Ladies is the maker of the Best Halupkis I’ve ever had. There was another one—My Best High School & Vietnam Buddy’s Mother. She used to make some every Income Tax time & bring them over for us too, but she passed away about 4 years ago. So this one “Mary” is almost 90 years old, and she was bringing us some every year, but last year Mrs Bear picked up her stuff at her house, did her Income Taxes at our house, & delivered them back to her. So we didn’t get any Halupkis.

Then last week, I get a call, and it was Mary. She says, “John, are you gonna be home this evening, and can we stop over?” I said yes, and that evening she got her daughter to drive her up here (about 20 miles), with a big pan of Halupkis for Me & Mrs Bear!!! See Pics Below:

Bear

14 Fresh Haupkis:
IMG_2435.jpg

First two for The Bear:
IMG_2437.jpg

One cut up & ready to devour:
IMG_2438.jpg

Next Two Victims:
IMG_2442.jpg

This time I added some Hash Browns I made in my Hot Air Fryer:
IMG_2443.jpg

A closer look:
IMG_2444.jpg

I still think that Bear is going to be over stuffed come hibernation time. Its great to have friends like that. For sure I bet you enjoyed every last bite.

Warren

Holy cow Man you have been eating some good food lately!
I have to say I have never had one of those, but they sure look good.
I like all the ingredients & will have to add this to my ToDo list for a later date!
More good stuff from the Bear cave!!!
Al

Brother John You know they have my attention,I don't have any left in the freezer either :( LIKES
Richie

Halupkis

A like for the story and introducing me to Halupkis. That is a recipe I'd like to make. Did you or could you, pass on the recipe?

DW, try them like this.... MY FAVOURITE!
when making sauerkraut, throw a few heads of unshredded leaves in the bottom as well.
when ready, use them to wrap up:
cooked rice
minced bacon or side pork

use your finger to measure out the rice mix (about 2 tbsp per) so they are all the same size.
wrap them with the cured leaf. You'll have to remove the thick part.
layer them in your oven safe casserole dish
when full, paint them with melted lard or butter that has a bit of onion in it.

bake open in the oven until the edges are getting brown crispy, and the tops are browning up to a light leather consistancy.

remove from oven, let cool enough so they don't burn you and EAT LIKE CRAZY!

options: regular cabbage and buckwheat. cured cabbage and buckwheat. brown rice....

I have NEVER liked tomato on mine, but all my brothers did.
So my Baba would make me my own small casserole of sauer'd rolls, and my brothers would get regular rolls with tomato sauce.

ETA: season with salt/pepper as you like

nanuk Now that's something I may like I do not like stuffed peppers or cabbage rolls. But could probably could go for the sauerkraut wrapped rice would be good don't care a hold lot for hamburger when it comes from the oven.

Warren.

Halupkis

A like for the story and introducing me to Halupkis. That is a recipe I'd like to make. Did you or could you, pass on the recipe?

DW & others,
I don't have a recipe for these.
As I said in the story these were made by a 90 year old Friend.
However we make something that tastes just as good, and is easier to make.
We call it "Unstuffed Cabbage--Deerlupkis", but you can make it with Beef & Pork:
Here's a Link:
Deerlupkis (Unstuffed Cabbage)

Bear

That sounds real good. And a great story as well. My wife, whom is German, on occasion makes kohlrouladen. Which I enjoy. And it is somewhat close to your dish. I have to get her to make them so I can do a write up on them.

As you say, she's old. Probably wouldn't take all that much torture to get it out of her!

DW

LOL---She's Tiny too, but she is such a nice little old girl.

I think GaryS has a recipe posted, and that unstuffed one I posted above is Awesome!!

Bear

Tasty looking Halupki’s, Bear.

When I was growing up my grandmother had a “magic halupki pot.” Because it always seemed to replenish to a full pot every time I stopped over. I don’t think she ever took the pot out of the refrigerator, just constantly topped it off.

So when I visited my grandmother she would always serve me Halupkis and I would get bored of them. “Geez gram, Halupkis AGAIN!?”

Now, since most of my grandparents are gone, I really miss having them because they remind me of a simpler time when we had bigger family gatherings and there was always a pot on the stove.

I get them twice a year, Christmas and Easter and I really look forward to them now.

That sounds real good. And a great story as well. My wife, whom is German, on occasion makes kohlrouladen. Which I enjoy. And it is somewhat close to your dish. I have to get her to make them so I can do a write up on them.

Yup---I'm PA Dutch, and my Grandmother used to make Kohlrouladen too.
They're pretty close to these. I believe this particular batch was Hungarian.

And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Tasty looking Halupki’s, Bear.

When I was growing up my grandmother had a “magic halupki pot.” Because it always seemed to replenish to a full pot every time I stopped over. I don’t think she ever took the pot out of the refrigerator, just constantly topped it off.

So when I visited my grandmother she would always serve me Halupkis and I would get bored of them. “Geez gram, Halupkis AGAIN!?”

Now, since most of my grandparents are gone, I really miss having them because they remind me of a simpler time when we had bigger family gatherings and there was always a pot on the stove.

I get them twice a year, Christmas and Easter and I really look forward to them now.

Thank You Xray!!
Nothing like a "Magic Halupki Pot" !!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky