Half a Calf?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

raptor700

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
May 20, 2010
Crestview, Florida
Thought I would throw this out there and see what the experts have to say! I was asked about cookin' a calf by a neighbor, he is a (spanish speaking american) I personaly have never heard of this! Is this a cultural thing? If anyone has heard of this or even tried it any info would be Greatly appreciated!!   Thanks in advance 
icon_eek.gif

Last edited:
maybe hes an american citizen? like he did what he had to do to be legal? hell i dont know but what does that have to do with the title? half the calf?

pandemonium

I believe 700 stated he was a Spanish speaking American, Just so we would understand if it was a cultural thing or not,

Not if he was legal or not.

Last edited:
maybe hes an american citizen? like he did what he had to do to be legal? hell i dont know but what does that have to do with the title? half the calf?
First, I thought this was a friendly site where we could exchange ideas, recipes, etc..(maybe I was MISTAKEN) Second, He is an American citizen, and did what he had to do to be LEGAL, and Third The title is Half a Calf!! Good Day my Friend
icon_rolleyes.gif

First, I thought this was a friendly site where we could exchange ideas, recipes, etc..(maybe I was MISTAKEN) Second, He is an American citizen, and did what he had to do to be LEGAL, and Third The title is Half a Calf!! Good Day my Friend
icon_rolleyes.gif
raptor, this is a friendly site. i will not speak for pandemonium......he is a big boy, i'm sure you guys are just miscommunicating.

as for the calf......my uncle used to dig a big hole and make a bed of coals and wrap a whole pig or 1/2 of a calf in burlap with onions, garlic and soaked with beer. he would then cover the hole with dirt and let it roast overnight. we would all go over to my cousins' house and eat big plates of beans, rice, and what ever meat my uncle would cook with homemade tortillas and salsa. is it cultural........damn right.

btw- we didn't but some families also do goats.

Thanks Chef, That's what I was wondering. I have seen the goat before but not the Calf! I was wondering what seasoning, Temp, Time,etc....I have done some whole hogs in the ground, I guess you could use the same method?

Good luck raptor, I cant say that I have ever seen a half calf smoked whole. Ya hear about pigs all the time tho. I would want to think the cook method would be near the same. Let us know how it turns out.

Thanks Tom37, If this happens It will be posted on SMF (exsclusive)! Just some more info....My friend is planning a Grand Opening for his Mexican resturant and cantina.Does anyone know what sides,seasoning, etc.. would go well with this?

yes i sure read that wrong lol, somehow i thought you were asking if a spanish speaking american was normal? lol my bad wow its funny how reading something wrong changes everything, i thougt you were being a smart ass about him speaking spanish. oops

yes i sure read that wrong lol, somehow i thought you were asking if a spanish speaking american was normal? lol my bad wow its funny how reading something wrong changes everything, i thougt you were being a smart ass about him speaking spanish. oops

Don'y worry Pan, I get the same thing when I ask my wife a question!! LOL 
Wow!!  You guys really need to go smoke something!!!!   LMBO!!!!!

Last edited:
Raptor,the correct answer is YES , I've both Goat and Calf as a teenager.I kinda found them walking along the road and I couldn't help myself)
PDT_Armataz_01_07.gif
 We used Watercress,wild Onions,dandilion greensPepper and salt on the Goat-wrapped in a bunch of burlap and a tarp,poured beer we stole from my Dad and threw it in a pit filled with coals we had been making all day. The calf we salted and peppered and wrapped it like as we did the Goat,but no water close by to get greens,so it was S/P and Beer(again stolen from Dad.

Time,we were playing good Cowboy/bad Cowboy and when we got real hungry,we dug it up and were surprized it worked.It was probably 8 to 10hrs.

We ate well and slept till noon the next day.Never found out who owned the critters.

Have fun and,  

ya maybe that wife thing was a stab at me i dont know? whatever
 That was NOT a stab at you Pandemonium! Actually it was a stab at my Wife!! I,m sorry if I came across as a smart @#$. That's what was amuesing to me , she tells me that all the time!  Don't tell me she's RIGHT again!!
icon_cry.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky