Haggis

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zzerru

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Apr 14, 2007
Ann Arbor
I guess this could have gone in Lamb too, but I opted for Sausage for the heck of it.

I'm not Scottish, but I do like haggis and generally do a Burn's Supper every year. This year, due to an unfortunate sudden need for back surgery, I missed it back on Jan. 25th. This weekend my parents were up to help me get back up and about and give my wife a break and so I convinced my mom to cook theBurn's Supper on Saturday. The meal generally consists of haggis, neeps (turnips) and tatties (potatoes) along with whisky (we also added parsnips this year because I like them so much). Since I'm on pain meds from the surgery, no whisky for me, but it was still good!

6340df2a_hag1.jpg

Haggis cooking.

5ca2df7c_hag2.jpg

Turnips and parsnips par-boiling.

4f2ae1d2_hag3.jpg

Onto the pan for roasting.

36840ec7_hag4.jpg

Haggis is done.

e9821ffc_hag5.jpg

Haggis, neeps, tatties and parsnips ready to go.

2ab9972b_hag61.jpg

Haggis cut open (and no, I didn't read Address to the Haggis).

ea7302ab_hag6.jpg

Dinner time! Delicious!

Glad you enjoyed it!

I've had haggis on several occasions—all less than memorable....I dont know if it was the overwhelming offal taste & aroma, or the fermented black grain aspect to it, but haggis is one of those cultural dishes that brings strong reactions. Heck ,even most Scots avoid it like the plague.

I am certain your version was a far better meal than some of my experiences eating the 'haggai' (worst case was 'canned haggis'.....)
 Since I'm on pain meds from the surgery, no whisky for me, but it was still good!
I think I'd have to do both pain meds & whiskey before eating haggis again....
biggrin.gif

...but with your version I may make an exception.

-Kevin

Last edited:
Haggis is still on the list to try. I'm thinking I won't like it but ya never know

Lol, it definitely can be an aquired taste. I grew up eating foods with similar tastes like liver and onions, bloodsausage and jeternice, so it kind of came naturally to me. I always try food twice and if I don't like it after that, I feel ok about giving up on it. I give anyone props for getting past the description and giving haggis a try.

Never had the haggis, but I sure would like to try yours!

Also, I could get all over those parsnips! We like to parboil and saute in butter, but it almost a luxury food with the prices they get.  Also, they are very hard to grow in my soil.  Turnips will have to do most of the time.

I do know that lamb liver has made believers out of a lot of people who say they hate liver.  The lamb sweetbreads are also excellent if prepared properly.

Excellent plate!

Good luck and good smoking.

Sounds delicious... i like heart, liver.... never had lung......I would  try some of that..............
icon14.gif

Joe

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky