Gyro Heroes And Homemade Fries (W / Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Not too long ago there was a thread about gyros that rejuvenated a long time love affair for me. I was surprised though at the number of people who had not heard of them and/or had no familiarity with them. For those less in the know, gyro is actually pronounced "hero". It is a Greek sandwich of sorts typically served in the pocket of pita bread. The meat is a combination of lamb and beef slow cooked on a vertical spit then shaved thin and applied to the pita bread. It is served with tomatoes, onions, feta cheese, and a delicious cucumber based sauce called Tzatziki. First thing I did when I read the previous thread was make the tzatziki sauce and dial it in perfectly. That is the star of the meal to me and had to be perfect. Once I got that down I went and got pita bread. OOPS!! No pockets in the bread from our little grocery store. Bummer but we improvised. Additionally Tracy is not a big fan of lamb so I just went with all beef. Not a travesty by any means. Being that we didn't have ready access to pita bread with pockets, I decided to make subs with them yesterday...aka Heroes.

Start with a Sirloin Bavette steak
004.jpg

Get the tater grater out and grate up some cucumber for the tzatziki sauce. Let the juices drain from the cucumber or the sauce will be very thin
002.jpg

Sauce all made
003.jpg

Slice up some tomatoes and onions
005.jpg

Cut up the fries and soak them for a while in lightly salted water
006.jpg

Rub the steak with a bit of Worcestershire and season lightly with celery salt and black pepper
007.jpg

Fries into the Emeril 360
008.jpg

Steak on the grill at super high heat
010.jpg

Steak done and rolls browned a bit
011.jpg

Steak perfect. I wanted this more toward medium so the juices didn't get the rolls all soggy
012.jpg

Fries all done
015.jpg

Time to build the sandwich. Start with steak
013.jpg

Add tomatoes, onions, and feta cheese then a hefty dose of the tzatziki sauce. Add fries and we're about ready to eat
016.jpg

Money shot!! This is kinda pretty IMHO
017.jpg

This sandwich was spectacular!! Everything I love about a gyro all rolled into a hero. After a bite or two though I realized that the meat to bread ratio was off so I grabbed a few more slices of the steak and ate it on the side. I was just concerned about getting the stuff piled so high the sandwich would be unwieldy to eat. All in all for improvising, this was a home run. Tracy asked that we continue going this route when I make the gyros. She loved it and felt it was the best representation I've done thus far with them. I'm fine with that. It was quick, easy, and very tasty. When we were finished, I just stood there and ate the rest of the steak dunked in the sauce and nibbled the last few fries. God I love that Emeril for doing fries!! The flavor of the steak was just exquisite and I couldn't stop eating it. Poor puppy only got half of a leftover hamburger from the other night and was deprived of steak. Oh well....that brings this one to a closure. Take care, be safe and see y'all next time.

Robert

Looks really good. All the Greek joints I've been to while in Europe pronounced them with a G. Either way. That sandwich looks awesome!

Thanks for the kind words Steve. Appreciate it.

All the Greek joints I've been to while in Europe pronounced them with a G.

Really? That's interesting. All of the Greek restaurants I went to in the Chicago area when I lived up there pronounced it with an "H". Wonder if maybe it's not a regional thing.

Who knows??
Robert

Thanks for the kind words Steve. Appreciate it.

Really? That's interesting. All of the Greek restaurants I went to in the Chicago area when I lived up there pronounced it with an "H". Wonder if maybe it's not a regional thing.

Who knows??
Robert

I'm sure it is. Either way they are great sandwiches. When I was overseas. You could by the spice blend and it came out the same as off the spit, well, pretty darn close.

Looks good to me, no matter how you say it! That's why pics are always good...I want one of those.

Nice job
Ryan

Reactions: Steve H
Looks delcious Robert for sure and OMG those fries look amazing too!! I love the Mediterranean flavors as you know :)

"After a bite or two though I realized that the meat to bread ratio was off so I grabbed a few more slices of the steak and ate it on the side. I was just concerned about getting the stuff piled so high the sandwich would be unwieldy to eat." Robert [/QUOTE]

Can't say as I remember ever having one Robert, sounds good. You bailed it out for me , I thought after the 13th picture down I'd have added another layer of steak. RAY

Looks great Robert ! I'm sure I could chow down on a couple of those! The flavors in a gyro are just awesome. Love the refreshing part from the cucumber.

Everything looks great, nice take on the gyro, you nailed it.

Those fries look great too! Seems like the Emeril is worth it alone just for the fries.

Looks Awesome, Robert!
Great Sammy!!
Like.
I'm glad you kept the onions in big pieces so they're easy to toss mine over my shoulder!

Bear

Looks good to me, no matter how you say it! That's why pics are always good...I want one of those.

Thanks Ryan, and I agree with you. Whatever you call it, sure was good!! I have a couple freezers full of steaks and just got back from the store with another bag containing 15 of those wonderful little rolls. Come on down!! I'll cook up a few more. May have to make a 5 gallon batch of the Tzatziki sauce though :emoji_laughing:

Robert

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Looks delcious Robert for sure and OMG those fries look amazing too!! I love the Mediterranean flavors as you know :)

Very much appreciate it Jeff!! Yep, you love the Mediterranean flavors and have gotten me hooked on them.

The 360 is a really versatile tool and I've done a lot of things with it but no question it does a great job on fries.

Robert

Reactions: jcam222
Can't say as I remember ever having one Robert, sounds good. You bailed it out for me , I thought after the 13th picture down I'd have added another layer of steak. RAY

Thank you Ray....I think. Are you per chance mocking me just a little for posting too many pics?? :emoji_laughing: I just seem to get started and go into another world...a totally different zone and lose perception of what I'm doing. All of a sudden my inbox starts blowing up with replies to a post I don't even know I did. Blame it on my ADD (which I really don't have).

Honest, I didn't do it,
Robert

Looks great Robert ! I'm sure I could chow down on a couple of those! The flavors in a gyro are just awesome. Love the refreshing part from the cucumber.

Thanks Travis and I agree with you. For me, it's the Tzatziki sauce that makes a gyro so good. Of course, using a world class steak doesn't hurt the cause at all either :emoji_wink:

Robert

Everything looks great, nice take on the gyro, you nailed it.

Those fries look great too! Seems like the Emeril is worth it alone just for the fries.

Thanks so much Joe. Coming from a guy that is a master in the kitchen (or around a cooker) that's high praise. Don't know that the 360 is worth it just for fries but it sure does do a great job on them.

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky