ground beef? /gasp

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I've looked at the Hey Grill Hey website.

I made jerky from ground venison. I used the seasoning package that came with the dehydrator my wife gave me so cannot give a recipe.
Package now discontinued, but I remember it had cure #1 in the mix.
I rolled it out loaf style following Winterrider Winterrider technique.
I don't have my journal with me and cannot remember how I finished it. Smoked on the pellet pooper or Weber kettle is my go to choices.
I was impressed. Not whole meat, but had a decent bite and chew. My morning coffee club critiques loved it.

Reactions: negolien
I’ve gone to exclusively ground jerky with all my venison. We tend to eat the roasts and steaks for dinners so I’ve gone to just making jerky from what’s left in the grind. I prefer it over muscle jerky actually.

For me that recipe is too much soy and Worcestershire for my liking. But it doesn’t seem too far off otherwise. I also tend to dehydrate mine longer than they recommend. I prefer them that way and they keep a little longer.

Try it, you might like it!

I’ve gone to exclusively ground jerky with all my venison. We tend to eat the roasts and steaks for dinners so I’ve gone to just making jerky from what’s left in the grind. I prefer it over muscle jerky actually.

For me that recipe is too much soy and Worcestershire for my liking. But it doesn’t seem too far off otherwise. I also tend to dehydrate mine longer than they recommend. I prefer them that way and they keep a little longer.

Try it, you might like it!
I have used hamburger meat for my jerky for years. I have the LEM Jerky Cannon and use various seasonings they have. Smoke them on the Treager.

I never thought of ground jerky. I agree we're old here and have a dwindling tooth count, so muscle jerky is tough. I tend to be picky if I buy and go with Cattleman's cut peppered steakhouse jerky. Not really a fan of rounds but I guess aesthetics don't really affect jerky when ur chewing it lol

Reactions: Bytor
All I use is ground be it venison or beef the wife and I both prefer it. I have used the smoker and the dehydrator and have found I like to put it in the smoker for awhile to get some smoke then intoi the dehydrator to finish.
Cabela's/Bass Pro has an electric jerky cannon I bought one and it works great. I don't even use casings with snack sticks and it holds together fine

My cousin in Tulsa got me started on ground beef jerky. Haven't made it in a while. I think his recipe came from Food.com. It's pretty good. Hey Girl, Hey's recipe looks good also.
I use an LEM jerky cannon and dehydrator. I would like to try dehydrating on the WSM and deleting the liquid smoke but doubt I can keep the temp low enough for 3-4 hours. Also, I would like to find a ground beef recipe that uses cure #1 so it would keep longer. Any ideas?
negolien negolien , to answer your question, by all means give it a try.

P.S.
Don't use the same dehydrator that you use to dry your clean pistol brass! :emoji_laughing:

• Haha
HAHAHA Sup All,
I seen this while browsing recipes. I also have about 5 lbs of beef in my fridge O.o. I knew u guys were "jerks" so figured I would ask you LOL. Worth a try?\

The BEST Ground Beef Jerky Recipe - Hey Grill, Hey (heygrillhey.com)

I'm with the others about having switched to all ground meat jerky.
I find it easier to eat and far easier/faster to work with. Additionally for me, I grind a ton of venison as 100% pure grind (no fat added) and being able to make jerky from it on a whim is a very nice capability for me to have, hence keeping so much 100% pure venison grind (taco meat, spaghetti meat, jerky, etc.)

I have a LEM Jerky cannon BUT I have abandoned it to simply rollout my meat into a giant 1/2 inch sheet for meet, between parchment paper and a solid non-stick silicon mat.
I then flip the sheet of meet onto my silicon smoker mat (one with holes/grids) and place that on my smoker rack. I do this for all 4 racks of my smoker to load it up. I can load 8-10lbs of jerky meet this way since it is 1/2 thick sheets of meat.

I then smoke and dehydrate in the smoker and swap the racks around as needed.

When the sheets of meet are dehydrated enough to be mostly solid I unstick them from the silicon grill mat and cut in half with meat scissors so they dehydrate even faster.

Some racks will finish faster than others and I only rotate like once or twice total.

When all cut in half sheets are good to go I bring them inside and then cut the sheets into strips/sticks to get my jerky.

This may sound like a lot but it is really waaaaaay easier and faster than using a jerky gun in my experience.

Here is my post on doing venison jerky this way and here are some pics from the post to show you that it is real thing that produces real and amazing jerky :) Enjoy!

czQpbOf.jpg

z6zkpXl.jpg

odrcvrB.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky