Grilling fruit

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Until you get grill marks.
Grill marks equal caramelization of sugars, this is the key flavor being sought by grilling.

But you can help this along and add a layer of flavor with a sugar based glaze.
For the sugar I like to use honey.
Try this out,
1/2C Honey or Brown sugar
1/4C tangerine juice
1/8C lemon or lime juice
Some zest from one of the citruses.
If you like a little zing add a 1/4t cinnamon.
Marinate your fruit in this till well chilled, then grill over very high direct heat.
You can brush remaining glaze on as it grills.

Last edited:
Reactions: cansmoke
Opinion, but I go by feel and it depends on how ripe the fruit is. Also depends on its use/Pairing. Grilled fruit salsa and I want it charred but still preserving some the raw fruit flavor. Sweer desert with sorbet or gelato and I may char for 3-5 min then move to indirect until warm/soft. Its hard to explain, its just a look and feel. If its firm to start, it feels kind of soft and squishy on the outside.

Be sure to place the fruit where nothing else had been on the grate for a while. That would give you a clean spot, and a hotter surface. Don't move it around until it has grill marks.

Haven’t grilled fruit in a while used to love doing pineapples for burgers and peaches for ice cream. I would go by feel for these.

I don't know, grilled mango is up there.

Mmm mango! Never thought to try that, I’ll take your word for it.

Ever try making grilled bananas foster?

Ok. Ill bite.... Mango you say, eh?

Best pineapple ever is done on a grill! I found doing them cut into spears was better than in rings. You can put a skewer through them if you want, but not necessary. But it can make them a little more "finger food" friendly.

Reactions: bathwalter
Ok. Ill bite.... Mango you say, eh?

Best pineapple ever is done on a grill! I found doing them cut into spears was better than in rings. You can put a skewer through them if you want, but not necessary. But it can make them a little more "finger food" friendly.

I also love grilled pineapples, but I always made them in rings. Urgently need to buy a pineapple and try your advice. Obviously have to buy mango too, so much admiration for it here!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky