Grilled Shrimp Tacos (Taco Tuesday)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Those look terrific! Love tacos, and good grilled shrimp! I’m copying this tonight!!

Thanks Saint, they were quite tasty too. Shrimp tacos are super versatile, make them yours!

Point for the Kolsch (but tacos look half decent) :p Nice stash of GLBC Christmas Ale tucked away for safe keeping! We are 1hr away...

We've rocked shrimp tacos a long time and I am not saying I’ve perfected it but since it sounds like you are still playing around and you mentioned it, I will offer some tips.

1. TOTALLY grill the onion!!!! A must. It’s the key. Skewer and do after the shrimp.
2. Keep shrimp dry as possible. Dry rub not marinade. Then try forming a pellicle on the shrimp and it takes a much better sear.
3. I used to do a lime cilantro sauce that took a bit of effort, lots of ingredients, had to blend etc… Last time on Baracoa it was running late and wife said forgo the sauce and throw some a few cilantro leaves and sour cream on it. And there it was… OMG. Never making a sauce for tacos anymore.
4. We used to grill them but just nuke the tortillas with a damp paper towel to make them soft.

Thanks for the write up and the suggestions.

The Genny Kolsch is good stuff. It has a slight grapefruit flavor. Very light, very refreshing. It pairs well with the shrimp tacos. Best of all it’s $12 a case!!

My 3 younger brothers and I have started a tradition of having a beer swap. We each buy a case of a beer (it’s a surprise to everyone else) and swap out a 6pack of it to each other. That way we end up with a surprise sampler case of 4 6packs. Only rule is, to buy something unique or something that isn’t your usual domestic: Miller, Coors, Bud etc etc....and if you don’t like the beer you’re only stuck with 6 instead of a case. The GLBC wasn’t my pick but good stuff, I like it.

1. I thought of grilling the onion, along with the pepper, avacado and tomato for a fire roasted salsa. I would definitely try this. I also have pickled onions in the fridge at all times, these are good with the tacos as well.

2. I’ll try this next time. I started to grind and make my own chili powder. I have brushed EVOO on the shrimp and dusted with chili and spices. I’ll omit the EVOO and try that.

3. I like to make a cilantro lime crema. Chopped cilantro, lime juice and sour cream mixed all together. I do this more in the winter months when tomatoes are out of season, more expensive and usually more bland. This is excellent with beef tacos too.

4. I have done this as well. I’ll put the tortillas on a plate and place a damp paper towel over them and nuke. I like this for flour tortillas. For some reason, I think the corn tortillas taste better on the grill or warmed on the stove top.

Also thanks for the Like, I appreciate it!

Reactions: zwiller
Xray, those tacos look mighty tasty. I don't think my wife would be adventurous enough to do the salsa. She only wants avocado if I make it into guacamole but I'd love to try one of those babies. Kudos to a fine taco plate. I need to try something similar in the near future.

George

Thanks For the compliments George! You could always mix it a little more to smoothen it out. As for the jalapeño, it’s mellowed by the avacado. My wife doesn’t do Hot, so I started with a half pepper...no complaints. Then I threw in a whole one and she’s still okay with it. I won’t push my luck further. I’ve also substituted a poblano with no problems.

It’s funny you mention the guacamole with your wife. Mine is the complete opposite. She loved to eat sliced avacado with eggs, breakfast and on sandwiches....When I would make guacamole or buy it, she thought it was disgusting and off putting.

Now she calls it ‘guac’ and seemingly can’t live without it. I just roll my eyes and shake my head.

7B6139D4-05CF-4F51-974B-CF7FDEDB783C.jpeg
Xray, just want you to know, we did these last night. I even had the guajillo adobo sauce in the fridge! Followed your recipe to the letter (plus some grilled onions) and it turned out great. There were no leftovers! Thanks again!

Last edited:
Reactions: xray
Thank you and thanks for the like. Shellfish or iodine allergy?

So far its just shrimp I have had lately. I can and have ate plenty of other shellfish without issues. But it is just shrimp, and has come on just in the last year or so. But you have me wondering now that you suggest Iodine. Hmm... I don't know if that might be the case.

View attachment 366594
Xray, just want you to know, we did these last night. I even had the guajillo adobo sauce in the fridge! Followed your recipe to the letter (plus some grilled onions) and it turned out great. There were no leftovers! Thanks again!

They look awesome, I bet they tasted better than mine with your access to fresh shrimp in LA.

Glad you liked them.

So far its just shrimp I have had lately. I can and have ate plenty of other shellfish without issues. But it is just shrimp, and has come on just in the last year or so. But you have me wondering now that you suggest Iodine. Hmm... I don't know if that might be the case.

I would doubt an iodine allergy since you could tolerate other types of shellfish. Usually if you have a reaction to shellfish you most likely will have an allergy to iodinated contrast in imaging exams.

Those look great xray, both the wife and I love shrimp. This will be a good spin on our normal boring tacos.

Thanks for the idea.

Point for sure.
Chris

Those look great xray, both the wife and I love shrimp. This will be a good spin on our normal boring tacos.

Thanks for the idea.

Point for sure.
Chris

Thanks Chris and for the like, I appreciate it. These take no time at all, all the time is spent in the prep.

^^^^Now that's something I've never seen before. Congratulations xray.

Chris

xray xray Great job on the grilled shrimp tacos for taco Tuesday-- This post will be featured on our social media this afternoon at 4 PM CST.

Check it out this afternoon on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter

Thank you Jeff this sounds really nice. I don’t have any of the 3 platforms listed for social media. SMF is my only social media, lol.

I’ll have my wife search this with her Facebook page.

^^^^Now that's something I've never seen before. Congratulations xray.

Chris

Thanks Chris, me either! It sounds pretty cool huh? I never really got into social media besides here at SMF...maybe I’ll sign up to the party.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky