Grilled My First Fattie

Discussion in 'Fatties' started by striper, Dec 20, 2009.

1. striper

striper Meat Mopper

Having spent the last week or more drooling over everyone's pic's of these things I had to try something. Being 3,000 miles from your Smoker is not a good thing. So I decided to try a Breakfast Fattie using the Blue Berries and Pancake that another member had done earlier. Since I had no way to check the temperature of the Grill I just warmed it up and then turned it to the lowest setting. At 1 hour the internal temp. was 118 so I proped the lid open a bit to try and slow things down. Took a total of 2 hours with about 15 minutes in the Broiler to finish the Bacon. Shared some with my neighbors here in the RV Park as they had been working next to the grill all the time this was cooking and they demanded the recipe. Here's the results.

Starting out

Ready to roll

Rolled and Ready for Chilling

On the Grill, a gas Weber Baby Q

Done and resting

The finished product and it tasted GREAT.

2. acemakr

acemakr Smoking Fanatic

yum - am planning on my first this coming week. I, too, saw the blue berry pancake fattie. Am tempted.

3. meateater

meateater Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

Congrats on your first fatty!

4. irishteabear

irishteabear Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Nice job on your first fattie. It's amazing what we do to get our "fix" sometimes.

5. nwdave

nwdave Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Dang Joe, you might as well give me your Trager, you don't need it. You're doing just fine with a grill setup. Looks good enough for[​IMG]for determination and success.
    ~Dave

6. fire it up

fire it up Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Great job doing what you had to do.
    I sure wouldn't turn down a slice of that beauty [​IMG]

7. k5yac

k5yac Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Man, I love making fatties, but I've never tried fruit. I'm tempted to get some blueberries.

8. beer-b-q

beer-b-q Smoking Guru OTBS Member

You made a fine choice for making a fattie...

It Looks Great and I bet it tasted Great also...[​IMG]

9. scarbelly

scarbelly Smoking Guru OTBS Member

That is a great looking Fattie - is the sausage or bacon maple by any chance? Thinking of doing one of these for Christmas morning

10. striper

striper Meat Mopper

Thanks Guys, it was fun and is delicious.

Dave, the Treager is "Under Guard[​IMG]". [​IMG]

And yes the Sausage was Jimmy Dean Maple Flavored, Bacon was just Thick Sliced. I'm thinking about using the Peppered Thick Sliced Bacon on the next one.

11. oneshot

oneshot Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

You have a "Traeger" and yer usin that little Weber???
    Have you lost yer mind????? lol
    Great job and nice lookin fattie!!!![​IMG]
    But it would've tasted better if ya used yer Traeger......lmao [​IMG]

12. Looks great and I love blueberry pancakes so that fattie is right up my alley.

13. nwdave

Well, the story goes that Joe just had to take off south for the winter with his new RV hauler and Fifth wheel. If it were me, I'D HAVE FOUND SPACE for the Traeger, but no. I'll bet he never makes that mistake again. So, yes, he's stuck with a grill, but he's getting innovative. Gotta give him credit for that, at least. Joe, we love you anyway. Merry Christmas from us NWBombers.

14. etcher1

etcher1 Master of the Pit

Looks good, nut'in better than a fatty in the morning!!!!

15. striper

striper Meat Mopper

Yep I've lost my mind.[​IMG] My Treager is in Washington State and I'm in South Rooster Poop Texas[​IMG] Believe me when I get home NWDave will be able to smell the smoke from the Treager clear up where he lives.

16. striper

striper Meat Mopper

Thanks Dave, and Merry Christmas back to all you guys still stuck up there in the frozen(?) PNW[​IMG]

17. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Man thats a nice fattie and I like the filling. I see you used the thick bacon on your fattie too. I have to say you made quite a fine looking fattie and on your first time too [​IMG]just have to be awarded for pulling off you first:

Cause you know that: One Cooked is One Hooked

18. the dude abides

the dude abides Master of the Pit OTBS Member

That is a great looking fattie. Way to improvise without the smoker nearby!

19. striper

striper Meat Mopper

Thanks Guys, this place is AWESOME. I'm thinking the lil Weber is gonna get a work out before I get home. Several other things rattling around in the think tank to try out on it.

Dave you better start rigging up for a Smog Alert.[​IMG]

20. nwdave

Funny you should say that. When I was doing the fatties the other day, two of my neighbors came across to check up on me. I was just getting the smoke to settle down. They are Bellingham Firefighters that recently moved in. They said that they want a piece of the action. We may have a problem[​IMG], of the right kind.