Grilled Hybrid Lasagna With Italian Sausage (Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Yesterday I decided I wanted lasagna for dinner...but what else is new? Checked the pantry and discovered that I only had two lasagna noodles. OOPS!! Sent the neighbor a text asking if she had any. Nope. What to do...what to do. Thought about it for a couple minutes and this is what I came up with, and it came out really well!!

Homemade sweet Italian sausage in the skillet
20211019_163339_Fotogenic.jpg

Boiled the two lasagna noodles and butchered them trying to cover the bottom of the pan as best I could. Homemade sauce first then the butchered noodles
20211019_165431_Fotogenic.jpg

Add a bunch of mozz. parm, and Romano cheese
20211019_165613_Fotogenic.jpg

Sausage done. Now to gonna slice it
20211019_170015_Fotogenic.jpg

A layer of sausage
20211019_170228_Fotogenic.jpg

Here's where the "hybrid" concept comes in. Only had the two lasagna noodles so used egg noddles for the rest
20211019_170315_Fotogenic.jpg

Another layer of marinara, sausage, and cheese
20211019_170602_Fotogenic.jpg

More noodles and marina
20211019_170836_Fotogenic.jpg

And guess what....more cheese!! Also some parsley
20211019_171027_Fotogenic.jpg

Time to get it on the grill
20211019_174738_Fotogenic.jpg

All done
20211019_182035_Fotogenic.jpg

Plated with some homemade Italian bread lightly grilled with butter, garlic, and Parmesan cheese
20211019_182411_Fotogenic.jpg

The idea of putting the lasagna noodles on the bottom was in hopes of being able to slice and plate a nice stacked serving like a traditional lasagna is served. I pretty much made it. The plated shot is a bit disjointed because after I got my slice on the plate I scooped up a bunch more of the goodies from the pan and just kinda dumped it on the plate. Oh well..so much for presentation :emoji_laughing: This came out really well. A true Italian flavor bomb. The sauce added to that as did the homemade sausage but I think what really set it over the top was the combo of all the cheeses. We just love the flavors of the Parm and Romano and the ooey gooey texture of melted mozz. Tracy had a late lunch so said she wasn't hungry and no need to make a salad. That didn't stop her from getting a second serving though. It was that good!! A little bit leftover which made for her lunch today. All in all I was very happy with this one.

That's it....again. Take care everybody and we'll see y'all on the next installment of Twilight Zone Cooking.

Robert

Seriously man that is a great idea. Done plenty of CI dishes but never though to use the lasagna noodles. With the homemade sauce and sausage along with the cheeses I think you could even make the Godfather Raymond happy sawhorseray sawhorseray .

You are like the DJ Khaled of damn good cooks lately...
1634760093006.png

Seriously man that is a great idea. Done plenty of CI dishes but never though to use the lasagna noodles. With the homemade sauce and sausage along with the cheeses I think you could even make the Godfather Raymond happy sawhorseray sawhorseray

Fact is I'm darned impressed John, that's one creative and well thought out CI dish Robert, Like! I love the use of the egg noodles, always have some in the pantry and in all probability will be copying this cook soon, tho I'll have to do it in my oven. After selling my offset last month I'm left with the 22 and 26 inch Weber kettles, and my Pro 100 electric has a max temp of 250º. Not buying any more smokers either! RAY

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
Great as usual :emoji_sunglasses:
Hey, noodles are noodles. It's all pasta.....
At the rate you're going you're going to have to make more sausage soon.

Last edited:
Robert, what can I say.
That's how great fun cooks come out. Not having what you really had in mind ....and than "BAM "
There it is another masterpiece.

I think you could have gotten a little more cheese in there somewhere..... I love me some Mozza

David

Nothing wrong with that meal. I don't think I ever had 2 noodles left.😃...JJ

• Haha
Reactions: Central PA Cowboy
That looks excellent!
Great work using what you have.
If you get a chance check out the pasta roller that goes on a KA mixer.
If you don’t have noodles you can make them right away, & once you have fresh made noodles you will never buy store bought again!
Al

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Yesterday I decided I wanted lasagna for dinner...but what else is new? Checked the pantry and discovered that I only had two lasagna noodles. OOPS!! Sent the neighbor a text asking if she had any. Nope. What to do...what to do. Thought about it for a couple minutes and this is what I came up with, and it came out really well!!

Homemade sweet Italian sausage in the skillet
View attachment 514004

Boiled the two lasagna noodles and butchered them trying to cover the bottom of the pan as best I could. Homemade sauce first then the butchered noodles
View attachment 514006

Add a bunch of mozz. parm, and Romano cheese
View attachment 514007

Sausage done. Now to gonna slice it
View attachment 514008

A layer of sausage
View attachment 514009

Here's where the "hybrid" concept comes in. Only had the two lasagna noodles so used egg noddles for the rest
View attachment 514010

Another layer of marinara, sausage, and cheese
View attachment 514012

More noodles and marina
View attachment 514011

And guess what....more cheese!! Also some parsley
View attachment 514013

Time to get it on the grill
View attachment 514015

All done
View attachment 514016

Plated with some homemade Italian bread lightly grilled with butter, garlic, and Parmesan cheese
View attachment 514017

The idea of putting the lasagna noodles on the bottom was in hopes of being able to slice and plate a nice stacked serving like a traditional lasagna is served. I pretty much made it. The plated shot is a bit disjointed because after I got my slice on the plate I scooped up a bunch more of the goodies from the pan and just kinda dumped it on the plate. Oh well..so much for presentation :emoji_laughing: This came out really well. A true Italian flavor bomb. The sauce added to that as did the homemade sausage but I think what really set it over the top was the combo of all the cheeses. We just love the flavors of the Parm and Romano and the ooey gooey texture of melted mozz. Tracy had a late lunch so said she wasn't hungry and no need to make a salad. That didn't stop her from getting a second serving though. It was that good!! A little bit leftover which made for her lunch today. All in all I was very happy with this one.

That's it....again. Take care everybody and we'll see y'all on the next installment of Twilight Zone Cooking.

Robert
Very nice, I want lasagna now

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky