Grilled Backstrap

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

edmonds

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 6, 2020
Huntsville, AL
Backstrap from yearling goat cut in half, one rubbed with my homemade beef rub, the other with Penzey's northwood fire.
Grilled to medium rare on Weber kettle, sliced, and served with chimichuri and horseradish.
Very tender and tasty.

Backstrap is a strip of loin on top of the back, and tenderloins are 2 small strips underneath the loin and behind the rib (correct me if I am wrong).
These are the 2 most prized cuts from deer, elk, and of course also goat.
Since I have a farm and raise cashmere goats (as well as Dexter beef), I am able to enjoy these specialty cuts.
Today we had relatively mild weather, so I decided to grill some backstrap from the freezer (pics below).
You can also see a video of cooking goat tenderloin on an open fire here.

P1030970.jpeg

P1030971.jpeg

P1030974.jpeg

P1030976.jpeg

P1030977.jpeg

That looks so good. And a shout-out to Penzey’s Northwoods Fire. I love that seasoning. They make a lot of other great stuff, too. I also wish goat were more available. I have a lot of African friends and some of the goat dishes I’ve had have topped some of the best beef dishes I’ve ever eaten.

I also wish goat were more available. I have a lot of African friends and some of the goat dishes I’ve had have topped some of the best beef dishes I’ve ever eaten.

Growing up American, I tend to prefer beef over goat. Maybe it's a matter of what you are used to. But there are a few dishes I cook where goat really shines.
As an aside, I know an African family that likes to buy intact (uncastrated) males. To my American tastes, mature bucks have an "off" flavor, especially after they have gone into rut. I'll pass on that.

Looks great. I’ve had goat curry many times but never a chance to enjoy a choice cut like this.

Never had goat but if it tastes half as good as it looks I'm all in.
Pickin' was very good as well

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky