Griddle Tuna

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

clifish

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 25, 2019
Long Island, NY
Picked up a couple Tuna steaks to griddle, I like mine blackened, very spicy I dusted mine with sriracha sauce, old bay and some Death Rain Nitro powder, the wife not so much she just uses some oil and dill. I know I will make most of you guys cringe when you see how I like mine done.
Tuna1.jpg

Onto the griddle it went along with some onions and peppers tossed in a little oil and Yoshido's.
scallops.jpg

Then went some scallops in butter for a quick sear.
tuna2.jpg

OK Cringe away...I like my tuna very well done, no pink at all. That is a really spicy Caribbean hot sauce next to it on the plate. Also Juice Bomb IPA's to wash it all down.
tuna3.jpg

This is the wife's plate, I am sure this is how most people like it, might have been a tad over done for her taste but she did not complain. We also can't miss an opportunity to have fresh Long Island corn on the cob this time oy year.

Thanks for looking.

Good looking meal all the way around.
I am with you on the well done tuna steak too.
Wow , you are the first to agree with me on that. I just can't get past the texture of under cooked seafood, I also like my duck very well done with no pink. I am finally lining up with everyone and eating my steaks medium/rare. I used to kill them before coming here and seeing how they should be done, of course my daughter thinks otherwise. I have to put her slices back into the pan with some butter until there is not a trace of pink on the meat.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Back in college in a graduate Parasitology course I saw all the critters that can infest seafood and fish, been cooking mine well done ever since. Pity is I used to love pickled herring. No, pickling isn't the same as cooking regardless of what they say.

Back in college in a graduate Parasitology course I saw all the critters that can infest seafood and fish, been cooking mine well done ever since. Pity is I used to love pickled herring. No, pickling isn't the same as cooking regardless of what they say.
yet there a Sushi places in almost every shopping center around here? I don't get it but obviously enough do to keep them open

Good lookin plates!

I admit I cringed...actually quite a bit!

Since the hernia surgery back in the Spring I just don't fish as much.Still can't resist smoking a few bluefish once in a while,easy enough to catch on a simple plug.

Reactions: clifish
Good looking meal.
I'm in your wifes camp, I prefer mine seared just until it stops floppin'. Or a corer and crackers with some wasabi if eaten on deck.

Reactions: clifish
I’m in the rare seared camp for ahi too so I cringed a little. My wife used to make me do hers like that but she will eat pink now with some sesame soy aioli. Man that rub you put on yours probably cooks it to well done without the griddle haha

Which is why they freeze even the freshest top sushi grade fish for at least 7 days to a month or more.
But the only way I'll eat albacore tuna loins is cooked through, pre frozen or not, I just like the flavor better cooked through, so I get it clifish clifish .
I eat rare bluefin and yellowfin tuna all the time, but it's always frozen for a couple of weeks to many months.
The only seafood I'll eat raw right out of the water is oysters.

Last edited:
Which is why they freeze even the freshest top sushi grade fish for at least 7 days to a month or more.
But the only way I'll eat albacore tuna loins is cooked through, pre frozen or not, I just like the flavor better cooked through, so I get it clifish clifish .
I eat rare bluefin and yellowfin tuna all the time, but it's always frozen for a couple of weeks to many months.
The only seafood I'll eat raw right out of the water is oysters.
There were 2 dozen oysters and raw clams on the table as well, Those my FIL and wife ate....not for me. I have to really watch where I get my seafood since I have an anaphylactic allergy to anything with an exoskeleton like shrimp, crab, lobster, crayfish etc... I will not order it in restaurants as I can't be sure of any cross contamination.

Freezing at the proper temperature for at least 15 hours is an accepted means of killing parasites in fish but doesn't that also destroy the texture that Sushi lovers desire in the fish? I can see that as a good method for soft fleshed foodstuff such as Pickled Herring but not so much for fish that is supposed to be firm like thin sliced tuna. As for raw Oysters, not on a bet, I always fry or steam them.

Looks good but not my style either. No Sushi Restaurants near me but I have a trusted Fishmonger. I make Sushi every 2 weeks, mostly Ahi Tuna. So Seared Tuna is seasoned, allowed to warm a bit, and gets 60 seconds of searing per side. Same for Scallops.
I think it's just a matter of what you are used too or grew up on. No Right or Wrong, as long as YOU enjoy the meal. Of course A-1 Steak Sauce is SACRILEGE!...JJ☺

• Haha
Reactions: Steve H and clifish
Wow , you are the first to agree with me on that. I just can't get past the texture of under cooked seafood, I also like my duck very well done with no pink. I am finally lining up with everyone and eating my steaks medium/rare. I used to kill them before coming here and seeing how they should be done, of course my daughter thinks otherwise. I have to put her slices back into the pan with some butter until there is not a trace of pink on the meat.

Yep, it is a personal preference for sure.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky