Greetings Smoke Masters and everyone else!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BME

Original poster
I'm new to the smoking game and seeking Google for guidance I came across this amazing library of a forum! I cant wait to seek guidance from humans, rather than Google! My Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker Smoker 18 is 2 weeks new and I've smoked Bacon, Pork Ribs, and Pork roast. I'm trying to season my smoker before attempting beefs and chicken. I'm having a hard time keeping the smoker in the smoking temp gauge, and my meats are coming out extremely dry. Also am I supposed to keep adding wood throughout the smoking time? Thank you for some guidance!

Attachments

• 20180605_113217.jpg
    20180605_113217.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 7
Welcome to the site. There's no need to continually add wood. Just bury a few chunks in the charcoal ring when your filling it. As for the temp issue if your using the gauge on the lid don't rely on it. They are notorious for being off. Get a secondary thermometer. I use one of those stand up therms that they use in ovens. They can be purchased almost anywhere.

Chris

Welcome aboard BME. There are so many WSM owners here. They will be able to get you up and running pretty quickly. I never had the opportunity to run the WSM but my Brinkmann bullet smoker had a very similar concept. You have the luxury of adjustable vents though. My suggestion is to try running a chimney of coals with no meat or something simple like sausage so that you can just focus on the heat. You will want to use the bottom vents to control the overall airflow and heat while you keep the top vent open to allow for good smoke flow. If you don't have a digital thermometer that you use to watch the grate temp then that would be my first recommendation of things to acquire. Knowing the temp where your food sits allows you to make proper adjustments instead of having to guess based on a gauge mounted on the cooker lid. I will let other more experienced WSM users get you further though. Take care and have a great day.

George

Welcome to the WSM group! You will love that thing! Ive had mine for about 5 years now. It takes a few smokes to get the hang of it and as Chris said above, get a good thermometer, the one on the top isnt reliable.

Thank you all for a warm welcome. I will buy a thermometer today. Also I will run some bacon and sausage to better learn to control the temps. As far as wood goes, should I be buying the small pieces or buy the large chunks? So far I've been using the small wood chips, spreading them over the top of the hot coals.

Larger chunks of wood are better then chips. Chips burn way to quickly.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky