Greetings from the PNW

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

alderation

Original poster
Nov 24, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Hello everyone,

I've been browsing your forums for a couple weeks now - boy, plenty of knowledable guys here, what a great resource!

I live in Washington State and enjoy cooking outdoors.  I own an inexpensice offset smoker (from what I gather COS is the proper abreviation) which I've already begun modifying since finding a few tips on this site.  With my Silver Smoker, I like to cook pork butt's, tenderloins, and chicken roasts.  I haven't ventured out into doing my own ribs yet, but hope to add that to my list soon.  I get a lot of pleasure out of coming up with my own recipes for sauces and rubs and I'm a southerner at heart (grew up in Arkansas), so BBQ has a special place in my life.  Alder is my wood of choice - the flavor for one, but more importantly it's free!  I also own a Little Chief smoker, and use it primarily for smoking jerky and salmon - it works for me, but an upgrade is in order - I find myself doing too many batches as well as needing to get up in the middle of the night to check on things.

What brought me to your site was a google search for sausage making tips.  This is something I've been wanting to do for some time, and am now in the hunt for a new electric meat grinder.  I'm looking to spend no more than $100 on the grinder to get me started, then I expect I may want to buy a vertical stuffer.  Right now, I've got my eyes on a few grinders, and was wondering what you guys would recommend for under $100.  I've seen reviews on the Northern Industrial, which is on sale right now for $95 after shipping - but LEM seems to be a reputable company and they have one within my budget as well.  Weston, Waring and Deni also seem to be good names.  I don't hunt, so everything I grind will be from the butcher in batches of 15-20 lbs (maybe more once I invest in a seperate freezer).  Any suggestions?

That's it for now!

DW

Welcome.  Hope you're surviving this "wonderful" introduction to La Nina.  Your equipment needs are dependent upon "how much you plan on doing at a session".  Personally, I have the Weston 8# grinder and I'm very happy with it.  I use it for grinding my own hamburger as well as other items and have no complaints.  Stuffer.  Take a look at Grizzly's 5 lb vertical stuffer.  Under a hundred bucks, has all the parts and accessories.  If you're within easy driving distance of Bellingham (after this weather disappears), Grizzly has one of the 3 display and order fulfillment centers located here.

There are several items you'll be directed to, including the 5 day course.  These will be of great benefit to you and the price is right, FREE!!

Welcome to the forum! Hope you are staying warm with this "arctic blast" we are getting this week!
eek.gif

Don't know about you guys up in WA, but here in Portland, OR this morning it was 17°, that's to dang cold in my book.... my dogs to, they wanted to be let out this morning at 3:00 AM till I opened the door, took one step outside turned around and tried to come back in....lol. I told them if they wake me up at 3:00 AM to go pee they are damn well going to go out whether they want to or not!

I rarely ever make it up as far north as Bellingham - maybe once in the last 2 years.  But If I find myself up there I'll have to check it out.  I've inlisted into the 5 day course, and expect to read them over the holiday weekend.

It is definately cold out right now, got down to 12 degrees last night - brrrrrr.

icon_cool.gif

First off Welcome DW to SMF. You'll like it here for there are alot of really good folks here that would just love to help you with just about anything to do with smoking. Now there are alot of proven recipes for some amazing things here too. So if you need sign up for the E-Course it's free and it will give you the basics of smoking and some good methods to use also. So the next big thing for you to do is go out and get you something to smoke and if you happen to have any questions just post it here and we will be happy to answer them for you.

Welcome To Your New Addiction  

Welcome to tihis forum, I don't reply much the have sure learned a lot here.  I have a Traeger Li'lTex and dream of getting a MAK someday. After using an Oster Kitchen center to grind many lbs of venison and elk, I went with a 1/2 hp Cableas grinder, then bought the mixing bin and a cuber.  We love elk chicken fired steak. LEM also has great grinders and attachments. Whatever you get, make sure the attachments are compatible.  I don't have a stuffer yet but bought a foot switch and it sure simplified things.  I have made elk sweet Italian from scratch and froze it then make meat balls that I smoke.  I really like the Hi-Mountain Jerky kits from Cabelas, because they are pre-measured for 15 or 30 lb batches and have the right casings for whatever you make and have easy to follow directions in each kit.  Do small batches first.  I use 12 lbs of elk/venison and 3 lbs pork butt for summer sausage. For Brat or Polish, I use 12 lbs venison or elk and 3 lbs of pork fat (free from out local grocery store), mix from the kit, smoke and enjoy.

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to your first qview.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

YAY for another PNW smoker!  I just ordered the northern grinder that's on sale, and will get the grizzly stuffer next.  They both have a lot of happy users here on the forum.  Sounds like you've got some good stuff to share with us - love to hear more about your salmon and jerky techniques and recipes. I'll be smoking ribs & chicken on my snowy deck this week.   Cheers!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky