1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Greetings from the Great White North

Discussion in 'Roll Call' started by Tyrnagog, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Hi all,

New member here from Canada. I've been grilling with smoke the last number of years, and was fortunate to receive a propane Masterbuilt smoker over Christmas - though I haven't put it into service yet, I am very keen to. Unfortunately, with daytime highs in the -10C (14 F) and lower, I'm not sure that's the smartest thing to do to offer the highest chance of success. Looking forward to reading about tips, tricks and other thoughts on this hobby!

JC in GB likes this.
  2. Welcome Tyrnagog, now that you received a smoker for Xmas, this is going to be the longest winter you have ever experienced. Be patient, we can almost smell spring around the corner!:emoji_anguished:

Tyrnagog likes this.
  3. HalfSmoked

HalfSmoked Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Welcome glad to have you on board lot of great guys and gals on here with tons of info just for the asking or you can search and read.

Warren

Tyrnagog likes this.
  4. HalfSmoked

HalfSmoked Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Tyrnagog Thanks for the like it is greatly appreciated.

Warren

5. gmc2003

gmc2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Welcome to the site and don't be afraid of smoking in cold weather, it's the wind that plays havoc.

Chris

JC in GB likes this.
  6. Winterrider

Winterrider Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

So very true. A windbreaker and/ or a wrap helps dramatically. Kinda have to be selective on what you smoke, but it's doable.

JC in GB likes this.
  7. gary s

gary s SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster OTBS Member

Good morning and welcome from a rainy East Texas

Gary

8. Put on some heavy warm clothes and get after it!! Welcome to the forum!!

JC in GB likes this.
  9. Welcome from fellow Winnipeger. Don't let the cold stop you! Sure doesn't stop me though I am set up in my garage out of the wind. Where there is will there is a way.

JC in GB likes this.
  10. zwiller

zwiller Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Take of hosers! Always wanted to say that... Ohio gets pretty cold and smoked tons of things in the cold. MES does surprisingly well by itself. I store my smoker inside garage and it fired up fine. I didn't smoke during that last blast we had but ROT for me is above 0C/32F but I imagine it could still work.

JC in GB likes this.
  11. Welcome from Kissimmee, FL. Santa brought me a Masterbuilt propane smoker for Christmas too. Great smoker in my estimation. One of my sons has a Masterbuilt too.

Put it together and got one smoke in, ribs. Next up will be a beef tenderloin.

Have fun and enjoy!

JC in GB likes this.
  12. Welcome Tyrnagog, from BC

Fire up that smoker. Lol

I smoked some buckboard bacon the other day in -19 ( -2 F ) and it worked out okay. Just had to hide from the wind. It was cold smoked and I did have to finish it in the oven as my smoker (electric) wouldn’t heat up enough. I pulled it from the oven when I got an IT of 150. Tastes great.

JC in GB likes this.