Greetings from NY

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Swashbuckler BBQ

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 8, 2019
Cortland, NY
Hi everybody!

Stumbled upon these forums last week, and have been going through them ever since. I'm from Upstate NY (yes, there is more to NY than the city!) and have just started to take my grilling, smoking and cooking in general more seriously.

I'm in IT by day (Software Development Manager), but in my real life I enjoy doing outdoor activities, especially grilling and smoking. I'm also a self-proclaimed Whisk(e)y connoisseur. So far my smoking has been limited to Ribs and Chicken, but I'm really looking forward to trying out Pork Butt and Brisket here shortly.

I currently own a Weber Genesis II E-410 as my everyday Griller, and a 22.5 Weber Smokey Mountain as my Smoker. In the future I'm very likely to expand my collection, as I've got my eye on a nice Pellet Smoker, and the PK Grills are also speaking to me for some reason! Needless to say, I've got to try to have a bit of self-control, but in all seriousness, those are some of the tools I'm considering in the future.

See you around and looking forward to talking to you all!

Welcome to the board! Plenty of NY people here.

I found this board by way of a fishing board ... and I don't fish.

I'm trying to get back into IT. I'm a tech writer and editor. Are you hiring any remote writers?

www.asilbajo.com

Welcome Aboard from Wisconsin!

I heard rumors NY was more then a city...never believed it in that much but if you say so.. ;) <One of those Ration Reviewers on Youtube actually explores upstate new york in some of his outdoor videos, beautiful country you got to backpack in!>

Welcome Aboard from Wisconsin!

I heard rumors NY was more then a city...never believed it in that much but if you say so.. ;) <One of those Ration Reviewers on Youtube actually explores upstate new york in some of his outdoor videos, beautiful country you got to backpack in!>
I am from Long Island (lower NY, 45 minutes east of NYC) but went to college upstate in Oswego. People up there kept commenting on how I could live in the city? I don't my backyard neighbor had horses and this is my backyard....no high-rise buildings.
Jan 27 2015 blizzard.jpg

Reactions: TomKnollRFV
Welcome, Swashbuckler, from Pinnacle, North Carolina. Until two years ago next week we had a farm in Sennett, NY next to Elderberry Farm and Restaurant the longtime organic farm and orchard on Center Street Rd.

Back in the 1980s I was an active duty platoon sergeant at the old National Guard armory on Fisher Ave. And I spent a lot of time at the DEC Region 7 HQ over the years.

I see that you and clifish had a tough winter what with all that snow still on the ground.... :emoji_astonished::emoji_blush:

Lance

Welcome from the Southside......Of the east coast. Central Florida with NO SNOW! You'll find lots of info here. Some people make you want to spend money by showing all sorts of goodies!!!! What a fun (and evil) place.

Welcome from Middle TN. I visited upstate NY a few years ago and really enjoyed my time there. Great food, and awesome people!

Just got back from upstate NY, near where Steve H is from. We fished out of Sodus bay on Lake Ontario...landed at least 27 Chinook King Salmon up to 28lbs. A ton of fun and now I get to research a bunch of Salmon smoking over the next month!
IMG_3951.jpg
IMG_1950.JPG
58744366272__0CBCBFD7-49D5-4198-A676-C5A36592EA95.JPG

Glad that you had a good time. Are you going back for the fall run on the Salmon River or another of the salmon streams?

Sodus is in the norther end of Cayuga County. Our farm was in the east central part of Cayuga County only 4 miles from the north end of Skaneateles Lake....

Last edited:
Glad that you had a good time. Are you going back for the fall run on the Salmon River or another of the salmon streams?

Sodus is in the norther end of Cayuga Count. Our farm was in the east central part of Cayuga County only 4 miles from the north end of Skaneateles Lake....
Not sure I am going to be making it back that quick, we are in the middle of building a house in PA that will go into the fall. Lots of round trips in a single day to meet with the contractors and builder....about 3+ hours each way from my home here in NY.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky