Greetings from Cleveland, OH

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

frostymugofsuds

Original poster
Oct 31, 2013
Ohio
Hello all,

I'm new here, but I have been lurking and learning by reading the wealth of information in these forums.  I want to thank everyone who has taken the time to share tips, technique, recipes, smoker mods and anything else.  I have learned a lot just by reading!

I have plenty of experience with charcoal and propane grills.  I've been using a small smoker box in the grill with indirect heat for light smoking, but I decided it was time to upgrade.  I recently picked up an Old Smokey as I found the design simple and it seems to have plenty of opportunity for mods (I like to tinker).  I also picked up a Maverick ET372 for temp monitoring.

I'm doing my first pork shoulder this weekend.  I'm going to try one of the rub recipes I found here and smoke with hickory, apple and pecan.  I'll post the results in the proper forum afterward.  Wish me luck... thanks!

Welcome to the SMF Family...There is tons of info here and anything you can't find with a Search, feel free to post your question. Pulled Pork is a good meat to start with. They can be a little time consuming but come out great even if you run into a problem. I will post a couple of Finishing Sauces you may like. They add an extra layer of flavor and make for some very juicy Pulled Pork...JJ

Foiling Juice

For each Rack of Ribs Combine:

1T Pork Rub, yours

1/2 Stick Butter

1/2C Cane Syrup... Dark Corn Syrup...or Honey

1/4C Apple Cider...or Juice

1T Molasses

Optional:

2T Vinegar, 2T Mustard and 1/4C Ketchup to make it more KC Style.

Simmer 5-10 minutes until syrupy consistency.

Allow to cool for 5 minutes, pour over foiled Ribs and

run your 2 hour phase of 3-2-1. For the last phase return

the ribs to the smoker BUT reserve any Juice remaining

in the Foil. Simmer the Juice over med/low heat to reduce to a saucy thickness. Glaze the Ribs for presentation or service.

For a Sweet Finishing Sauce for Pulled Pork:  Make a Double batch, Butter optional or do as I do...Use the Smoked Pork Fat from the drip pan...

Add 1/2 the batch to the Foil Pack or place it in a Pan with your Butt, when the IT hits 165*F.

Cover the pan with foil and continue to heat to 205*F for pulling.

At 205* rest or hold the Butt in a cooler wrapped in towels until ready to serve.

Pull the Pork and place it back in the pan with the pan Juices and any additional reserved Foiling Juice to moisten and Serve...OR... Bag and refrigerate until needed.

When re-heating place the Pulled Pork in a Pan or Crockpot and add reserved Foiling Juice or Apple Cider, as needed to make up the Juice that was absorbed while  the pork was refrigerated. Cover and re-heat in a pre-heated 325-350*F oven or on High in the crockpot to 165*F and Serve.

Note: the addition of the reserved Foiling Juice or Apple Cider should make the PP moist but not Swimming.

I was AMAZED...No additional sauce needed!

For a Tangy Finishing Sauce try this...

JJ's Finishing Sauce

2C Apple Cider Vinegar

2T Worcestershire Sauce or more to taste

1/4C Brown Sugar

1T Smoked Paprika

2 tsp Granulated Garlic

2 tsp Granulated Onion

2 tsp Fine Grind Black Pepper

1 tsp Celery Salt

1 tsp Cayenne Pepper or Chipotle powder. Add more if you like Heat.

1/2 tsp Grnd Allspice

Combine all and whisk well. Let rest, at room temp, 30 minutes for the flavors to meld together.

Last edited:
Hi JJ,

Thanks for the fast reply and the additional info.  You also answered my first question:  To pull or not to pull before refrigerating.  I may have to smoke a day earlier than the meal due to weather and time constraints.  Now I know to pull first, refrigerate, then add a little finishing sauce while reheating in the crock for the football game. 

Then, you answered my next question:  What to use for a finishing sauce.  Both sound great, but I think the crowd here would prefer the tangy one, so I'll give that a try.

Thanks again for the help!

Welcome to the forums!  Glad you've joined our group.  This is the best place I know for sharing ideas on smoking, grilling, curing, etc.  You'll find there are lots of friendly and knowledgeable folks here who genuinely enjoy helping one another.  Looking forward to your input, and just ask when you need anything...someone here will surely have the answer.

I can highly recommend JJ's recipes...I've used both his foiling juice and his finishing sauce recipes, and they're great!

Red

Hi JJ,

Thanks for the fast reply and the additional info.  You also answered my first question:  To pull or not to pull before refrigerating.  I may have to smoke a day earlier than the meal due to weather and time constraints.  Now I know to pull first, refrigerate, then add a little finishing sauce while reheating in the crock for the football game. 

Then, you answered my next question:  What to use for a finishing sauce.  Both sound great, but I think the crowd here would prefer the tangy one, so I'll give that a try.

Thanks again for the help!
You are welcome. Take a taste of the sauce if it is too tangy you can add a little more sugar...OR...Use the sauce as is and serve a Sweeter BBQ sauce on the side. If you like sauces like KC Masterpiece or Sweet Baby Ray's you may like this one...JJ

KC Bubba Q Juice

2C Ketchup

1/2C Brown Mustard (Gulden's)

1/4C Apple Cider Vinegar

1/2C Molasses

2C Dark Brn Sugar

1T Tomato Paste

1T Mild Rub

1-2tsp Liquid Smoke

1tsp Worcestershire Sauce

Combine all and warm over low heat just until it starts to bubble. Simmer about 5 minutes, stirring very frequently, to combine flavors and to thicken slightly.

Use or pour into a sterile jar and refrigerate for up to 4 weeks.

Makes 3 1/2 Cups.

[h1]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything   .........  Luck on your Butt !!!
[/h1][h1]  [/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]

Howdy FMOS!

welcome1.gif
 to the SMF, the best BBQ site on the web.  Whatever you need to know about the fine art of BBQ you can find it right here, from recipes to technical knowledge.

One thing you need to know about us is that we like to see pictures of your creations and your gear.  We call it Q-View and its basically the 
Rules.gif
!!!

So, don't just talk about your food, show it!  Otherwise you may get a gentle reminder, like this...

worthless.gif
  or this...
th_What_NO_QVIEW.gif

Good Luck and Get Smokin'

Bill

First, hello again everybody and thanks for the additional greetings!

Due to family obligations, I was unable to smoke when I made this post several weeks ago, so I ended up throwing the butt in the crock pot and did it Caribbean Style.  Good - but NOT SMOKED!

Time for a second try for Sunday's Browns game.  Don't laugh - it's a good excuse for a dinner party with cold beer and warm, smokey pulled pork with homemade slaw and maybe some homemade macaroni salad! 

The butt is rubbed and getting happy in the fridge.  Friday morning, it goes in the Old Smokey with a blend of hickory, apple, cherry and pecan chips.  Since temps will be in the mid 20's, I'll probably take it to 165 IT, foil it with JJ's foiling sauce and finish it inside.  Once it gets to 205ish, I'll let it rest before pulling, then bag it for Sunday.  I'll put the reserved juices in the fridge to let the fat separate.  .

On game day, the pork goes in the crock with the reserved juices to warm up to serving temp.  I'll probably do a home made sauce if time allows, but I have some Sweet Baby Ray's as a backup.

Here is a quick look at the rubbed butt.  More Q-view to follow once I get smoking!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky