Greetings from California's Central Coast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

drgonzo2k2

Original poster
Jun 14, 2017
Santa Cruz, CA
Hey Gang!  You can call me Doc!  I live in Santa Cruz, California, and I work in the tech industry.  My wife, 2 kids, 2 dogs, and 3 cats share this little slice of paradise we call home here.  My main hobby is home brewing, and I actually got introduced to smoking meat from the Home Brew Talk forums, where I'm pretty active and an editor for their front page articles.

I was browsing new posts one day and came across a "Who's Smoking Meat This Weekend" thread, and the title made me chuckle because I pictured people talking about rolling up and somehow smoking meat like a cigarette or joint or something.  When I clicked through I didn't find any of that, but did come across lots of pics that got my mouth watering, and I had to learn more.

So after doing lots of research on here, other forums, product reviews, and so on I settled on buying a Rec-Tec 680.  My research led me to believe it was the best $1000 you could spend on a smoker, and now that I've had it for a month or so, I would happily recommend these grills to anyone that in the market for such a thing.

Here's a couple of pics of my new baby all setup in our back yard next to my Weber Genesis E-330 "gasser" as I've learned they're called.

The first thing I did once I got it put together was some pig candy of course:

Of course I had to do some ribs very shortly after.  Here they are all rubbed up and ready to go.  I used three different rubs that I had.  Two were in a gift set from Penzey's spices that my wife got me (Galena St. and BBQ 3000), and the third was a batch of Jeff's rub that I made up.

Here they are when I just put them on the grill at 225.

Here's what they looked like after 3 hours in the smoker with the "Extreme Smoke" option on.

I put a little mettled butter, raw sugar, and more rub in the foil before putting them in with the meat side down. They each got 1 shot of bourbon on the bones as well. Then they went back in the smoker for another hour, bone side down.

Out of the foil, sauced, and on a the searing hot grill for just a couple of minutes to finish them up.

And, BOOM! All done.  If you're wondering, the Galena St. rub was the crowd favorite, with Jeff's rub being a close second, and one person insisting we were all crazy and loving the BBQ 3000 rub.  Just goes to show you, to each their own!

The next day I did a pork butt.  Here it is all rubbed up and ready to go.  I injected it with Cherry Dr. Pepper before applying the rub.

Here it is after 3 hours in the smoker about 225-235.

Here it is after about 6 hours when the internal temp hit 160.  At that point I put it in a pan and foiled it.

I forgot to write it down, but I believe it was about 5 hours later or so that the internal temp hit 205, so I pulled it off.  My smoke wireless thermometer worked like a champ!

Unfortunately I didn't get any pics of it after I pulled it, but it basically just fell apart.  I did make some smoked mac n' cheese with bacon to go with it though.  This is it before going on the grill, forgot to snap a pic of when it came off, probably because I was two busy shoving pulled pork in my face.

Last weekend I did 5 pounds of ground beef jerky.  1 hour in.

2 hours in.

I flipped it after 2 hours in.  4 hours total, and it was done, and I used the extreme smoke option on it.  Here it is all done.

Everyone that I took some to and work on Monday told me Tuesday morning that they'd eaten it all and please bring them more!

This weekend I'm doing 5 lbs of Thai turkey jerky on Saturday, and then Sunday I'm doing my first fatty, cheddar & bacon biscuits, and smoked peaches for dessert!

Anyway, I just wanted to say hello, introduce myself a bit, and hopefully show people how easy it is to jump into this hobby.  Before about a month ago I had never smoked anything.  So far the recipes have been pretty straightforward to follow, and everyone has complimented me on the food I've produced.
sausage.gif

Reactions: noboundaries
Doc, welcome to SMF!  Glad you are here and posting with ONE IMPRESSIVE FIRST POST! 
points1.png
And heck, I've got a former Banana Slug and her hubby living down in your neck of paradise.  Looking forward to seeing you around the forum!

Keep on smoking!

Ray

Doc, welcome to SMF!  Glad you are here and posting with ONE IMPRESSIVE FIRST POST! 
points1.png
And heck, I've got a former Banana Slug and her hubby living down in your neck of paradise.  Looking forward to seeing you around the forum!

Keep on smoking!

Ray
Hey Ray!  Thanks so much!  Still not up to speed on what points are all about, but I see that people are stoked to get them, so I will try to read up.

Welcome to the Forum and I have seen some first posts but that is a WINNER!!!!
Hey, thanks!  Like I said, I'd been lurking around here for a while doing my research, so I'd seen quite a few awesome pics, and I figured I should go big or go home for my first one!

Welcome to SMF!

Looks like your well on your way to being the BBQ King of your neighborhood!

Al

Welcome to SMF!

Looks like your well on your way to being the BBQ King of your neighborhood!

Al
Thanks, Al!  It was actually your directions for "Perfect Ribs Every Time" that I followed my first time, and I have to say I don't plan on making any changes!  Thanks so much for sharing what you've learned!

Now that one he'll of an intro. Welcome to SMF from NorCal

Now that one he'll of an intro. Welcome to SMF from NorCal
Hey, thanks so much!  What part of NorCal are you from?

Generally I hear people refer to Santa Cruz as being "NorCal" but then I always refer them to a map ;)

Not being from California originally people tell me that anything north of Los Angeles is considered "NorCal" but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Plus, California's Central Coast just sounds so much nicer! :)

I'm North East in the Sierras about a hour from Tahoe.

Doc,

I was in SC yesterday  on Soquel Ave.   I couldn't smell your smoker going, so I move on and came home via Hwy1, having lunch at Duartes in Pescadero of course.   Welcome to SMF.

Doc,

I was in SC yesterday  on Soquel Ave.   I couldn't smell your smoker going, so I move on and came home via Hwy1, having lunch at Duartes in Pescadero of course.   Welcome to SMF.

Hey! Next time you're in the area, if you haven't already, you should check out either Mission St. or Aptos St. BBQ. They're owned by the same people, and man, they really know what they're doing.

I hadn't heard of Duartes before so I checked them out online, and it definitely looks like some place I need to visit the next time I'm heading up Hwy 1!

Wife and I might are seriously considering going to Aptos BBQ this coming Saturday.  Wonder if they would trade a couple dishes for some recently caught Rock Cod and Ling Cod.....LOL

Thanks for the tip

Wife and I might are seriously considering going to Aptos BBQ this coming Saturday.  Wonder if they would trade a couple dishes for some recently caught Rock Cod and Ling Cod.....LOL

Thanks for the tip
 If by this coming Saturday you mean today I would suggest you pick another day.  It's UCSC commencement and supposed to be pretty hot today which means lots of beach traffic.  Between the two I imagine traffic will be quite a nightmare.

Also I'd recommend getting there earlier than later.  It's the type of place that when they sell out of something they sell out.

Welcome, and by golly, great looking meats!  Jerky is officially on my to do list now!
Thanks!  I highly recommend it.  Could not be easier with the LEM jerky cannon.  In fact I just did 5 lbs of Thai turkey jerky with it yesterday, and it is OMG amazing!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky