Greeting All

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rock95

Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Just wanted to drop by and say hello to everyone.

Ive long loved barbecue and finding decent 'cue in Southern NJ can be quite challening, so i took the proveribal bull by the horns and jumped in to start learning the magic of the smoke.

Ive become pretty competent on my char-griller when it comes to ribs...to the point that when friends hear I'm firing up the smoker, they tend to drop by ;). (became a charcoal snob -according to a friend- since i forsaked using briquets in favor of lump charcoal started in a chimney with only paper. No starter fluid in my 'cue)

I did try a small brisket on it, once, but that was not very successful. A valiant attempt that failed due to being too tough and too much smoke.

Ive recently graduated to a new Masterbuilt 40" electric smoker. Gave it its first run today (a small brisket and a small rack of ribs).

Ribs came out pretty good. Brisket (2.75 lb w/ nice fat cap), well, it was much much moister than my last attempt, not bad on smoke (used mesquite and hickory) but was still tough. I got it up to an internal temp of about 180 in about 3-3.5 hrs, rested it for about an hour, did use the 'Texas Crutch' but still managed to get some good bark on it after taking it out of the foil.

Since I did manage to make some progress with the brisket, ill be trying this again, just need to solve this toughness thing. From what I know about brisket...its unforgiving, but doable - and since its a favorite of mine, more of it will find its way into my smoker (till I get it right).

Looking forward to hearing what tips and tricks you guys have for me - a southerner at heart living in the frosty north.

Welcome to the forums! Glad you've joined our group. You'll find there are lots of friendly and knowledgeable folks here who genuinely enjoy helping one another. Looking forward to your input, and just ask when you need anything...someone here will surely have the answer.

Red

[h1]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything   ......... 
[/h1][h1]  [/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]

Hi Rock,  for the brisket you want to try and get it to an IT of 200 - but always do a tenderness test by inserting a toothpick into the meat.  If it slides in and out without resistance it's ready, if not, let it cook!

welcome1.gif
 to the SMF, the best BBQ site on the web.  Whatever you need to know about the fine art of BBQ you can find it right here, from recipes to technical knowledge.

One thing you need to know about us is that we like to see pictures of your creations and your gear.  We call it Q-View and its basically the 
Rules.gif
!!!

So, don't just talk about your food, show it!  Otherwise you may get a gentle reminder, like this...

worthless.gif
  or this...
th_What_NO_QVIEW.gif

Good Luck and Get Smokin'

Bill

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky