Green Mountain Grills

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
gmg denial boone with wifi, auger motor burnt out after 8 months, customer support was very hard to get too, once I did and explained that the auger motor was not working and popping my breaker, they have sent me a new motor and control board, took unit apart and found nothing to have caused this issue,

​agree with customer support being hard to get a hold of, DISAGREE with not making the customer happy, I got over 200.00 in parts sent to me due to a auger not working, fixed the issue and never paid a cent,

Looks Great upinsmoke. 
points1.png
 for sure. Too bad to hear about the breakdown/issue but good to see it's fixed up and you are back up and running. I am looking at getting one, Just not sure what to do you. I want one for work so I am still undecided.

Rex1
Sorry to hear upinsmokes auger problem. I have only had my daniel boone about 4 months and it has worked flawless. Not being computer savy with a 85 year old brrain, i did have a couple of questions about the wifi connections to my home server putting it into client mode because the gmg wifi broadcast was too far. I sent a email to customer service and got an answer within 30 minutes that solved the problem. I hadapower failure this week andcould not remember how to get it back up. Sent another email and again got an answer within 30 minutes and back up going again. This time i filed the instructions. I have to give the customer service department five stars from my prospectus.
Rex1

rex1, i'm not disgruntle about the customer service, just took a bit before I got a someone, still love my smoker and use it weekly,

​those ribs was done hrs before the auger went, was not 100% happy with them as the separation was not yet there and the tenderness was not at the point to my liking, went to smoke a pork loin and that's when I found the auger not working, as of this writing still not up and running,  waiting on parts

I had a wifi issue.  Every time I emailed them, I got my answer the same day.  Finally after getting fed up and letting them know, and doing all the tests, they determined it was a bad wifi unit and I had one in 2 days, across the country.  I had the same issue again.  Turns out that my router was having issues and dropping the gmg off the network.  I hit them up and told them the situation, explaining that the wifi wasn't bad amd to give me an address and I will shit the replacement back. They didn't reply to two emails, and the third one they finally replied and said to keep it, no biggy.  So, I had a friend who originally turned me onto the GMG and he had a DB that was 8 years old non wifi.  He is now full wifi and happy.  Here are ribs I did today.  Love this thing.

​ribs looking q perfect, never had a wifi issue other than the dealer swapped my non wifi board out for a wifi and the board he gave me had no serial number on it so I couldn't set it up, took back the same day reswapped the board and never had an issue, dealer has been awesome,

FWIW my DB wifi drops from the network regularly & doesn't reconnect. None of my other wireless clients do this & I'm no rookie to networking. They're sent me new controllers for various reasons & every one of them across several firmware versions demonstrates the same behavior. I'm pretty sure the problem isn't strictly the router in either of our situation.

Very possible you are right.  I do know that I have gone into my router and set it via the mac ip of the DB.  So there really should be no way that it should drop the grill once connected.  It always connected no problem, but like you... just dropped and sometimes would never connect.  Finally, after the second wifi module, I took an old iphone and/or my tablet and I simply connect point to point with the grill.  I just use that stand alone and leave my cell out of the equation.  Hasn't dropped one time so not only am I at a loss, I am at least content now.

***Important*** Have a wifi daniel boone and only have about 4 cooks on it. I had family over last night was going to cook chicken on the grill. I turn it on let it go through the tests cycle 99 degrees showed so I pressed the up arrow until 375. Grill struggled reaching 160 and smoke was billowing out and pellets were being used rapidly. I contacted customer support they called back in 20 minutes. They asked me if I allowed grill to come up to 150 before changing to my desired temperature...I said no. They said I needed to shut the grill off so it doesn't catch fire and apologized that this isn't in their instruction book. Page 18 says I can change the temperature as soon as the cycle is complete nowhere does it say to wait until it gets to 150. I was embarrassed thatI had to use the oven and my full house of guests waited an additional hour to eat.... needless to say they asked me you paid over $700 for that? So don't relive my nightmare let the grill come up to 150 before changing the temperature. Get it in the book GMG especially if its a hazard!

***Important*** Have a wifi daniel boone and only have about 4 cooks on it. I had family over last night was going to cook chicken on the grill. I turn it on let it go through the tests cycle 99 degrees showed so I pressed the up arrow until 375. Grill struggled reaching 160 and smoke was billowing out and pellets were being used rapidly. I contacted customer support they called back in 20 minutes. They asked me if I allowed grill to come up to 150 before changing to my desired temperature...I said no. They said I needed to shut the grill off so it doesn't catch fire and apologized that this isn't in their instruction book. Page 18 says I can change the temperature as soon as the cycle is complete nowhere does it say to wait until it gets to 150. I was embarrassed thatI had to use the oven and my full house of guests waited an additional hour to eat.... needless to say they asked me you paid over $700 for that? So don't relive my nightmare let the grill come up to 150 before changing the temperature. Get it in the book GMG especially if its a hazard!
My Davey Crockett did the same thing today. Have used it multiple times and never let it go to 150 first. At least you got to talk to someone. I called twice and left a message both times. NO RESPONSE. Guess I'll have to cook the ribs in the oven tomorrow. Kinda wish I would have bought a different brand.

I have the DC and I have never waited till it gets to 150 before I turn up the temperature. I have had the DC do pretty much what you are describing. I had to shut it down, take everything out, clean the ashes up and reassemble. It's been fine since. When it happened to me, I surmised that it wasn't so much full of ashes but more likely the parts must have gotten jostled and out of place. I guessed that interfered with the air movement. It delayed my slightly but hasn't happened since but I still check everything before I fire it up now.

I just bought a Jim Bowie, haven't even received it yet but am planning on using it this weekend for a big church picnic. How many pork butts can it reasonably hold and does anyone have any advice on cooking large quantities of meat on it? Ideally I would like to get 8-10 butts on it. When cooking a single butt, cooking time is usually 10-12 hrs, should I plan for longer with higher quantity?

My Davey Crockett did the same thing today. Have used it multiple times and never let it go to 150 first. At least you got to talk to someone. I called twice and left a message both times. NO RESPONSE. Guess I'll have to cook the ribs in the oven tomorrow. Kinda wish I would have bought a different brand.
its on their online directions now to allow grill to come up to 150 before adjusting higher. Corporate said it will be in the next paper update.

Last edited:

https://greenmountaingrills.com/new-grill-owners/new-grill-owners-daniel-boone/         It is right on the website. Allow grill to come to 150 before adjusting temperature.
That only appears in the section for Initial Burn, which makes it seem like it's only necessary the first time you run the grill. And really, if it's that important and potentially hazardous, then the software should automatically bring it to 150 first before going on to a higher set temp - how difficult could that be?

After talking with GMG support today after grill again was doing the same thing come to find out combustion fan blades were melted under the belly of the grill. They are sending a replacement combustion fan. I wonder how that could've happened?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky