Green Mountain Grills

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Been tossing around getting a DB unit. Retailer I stopped at in town just so happens to be the local Warranty center. Do have a question, and this is why I have yet to buy one...

Can searing be done on it? I know that is what is claimed but am in the dark as to how things can be seared without direct heat...or a very high amount of indirect heat...but what the hell do I know....

Maybe a GMG owner will chime in with more specific info about a DB setup, but here's how I sear with my Rec Tec...and it's a similar design to the DB:

I remove the grease drip pan, which acts as a heat shield, and lay a sheet of foil in the bottom of the barrel to catch any grease. Then I change out the regular stainless grates on the right side of the barrel for my set of Grill Grates (hardened aluminum, heat-radiating design). This setup technically isn't completely direct, open-flame grilling, because I leave the heat diffuser in place over the fire pot...but its pretty close, and those Grill Grates get hot enough to put a nice sear on a steak with this setup when I set the Rec Tec's controller to 500*.

Red

Been tossing around getting a DB unit. Retailer I stopped at in town just so happens to be the local Warranty center. Do have a question, and this is why I have yet to buy one...

Can searing be done on it? I know that is what is claimed but am in the dark as to how things can be seared without direct heat...or a very high amount of indirect heat...but what the hell do I know....

Maybe a GMG owner will chime in with more specific info about a DB setup, but here's how I sear with my Rec Tec...and it's a similar design to the DB:

I remove the grease drip pan, which acts as a heat shield, and lay a sheet of foil in the bottom of the barrel to catch any grease. Then I change out the regular stainless grates on the right side of the barrel for my set of Grill Grates (hardened aluminum, heat-radiating design). This setup technically isn't completely direct, open-flame grilling, because I leave the heat diffuser in place over the fire pot...but its pretty close, and those Grill Grates get hot enough to put a nice sear on a steak with this setup when I set the Rec Tec's controller to 500*.

Red
Hopefully a GMG owner will chime in shortly, getting kind of anxious. Have looked at the Rec Tec site several times, would really like to a Rec Tec over the GMG just the budget is going to have a problem with it. May just wait a while. I have a BGE that I use for burgers/steaks etc. Have grown tired of the lighting process, perhaps I have just gotten lazy....make that lazier.....

Hopefully a GMG owner will chime in shortly, getting kind of anxious. Have looked at the Rec Tec site several times, would really like to a Rec Tec over the GMG just the budget is going to have a problem with it. May just wait a while. I have a BGE that I use for burgers/steaks etc. Have grown tired of the lighting process, perhaps I have just gotten lazy....make that lazier.....

Send Justin (WaterinHoleBrew) a PM...he owns a Daniel Boone, and I'm sure he'd be happy to help out any way he can and answer all your quetions. He's always my 'go to' guy with GMG questions...super-nice guy who always ready to lend a hand.

Red

Last edited:

Send Justin (WaterinHoleBrew) a PM...he owns a Daniel Boone, and I'm sure he'd be happy to help out any way he can and answer all your quetions. He's always my 'go to' guy with GMG questions...super-nice guy who always ready to lend a hand.

Red
Will do, Thank You Sir

Hi All,

I am looking into purchasing a GMG Daniel Boone shortly, but don't want to constantly wheel it from my garage to the backyard before/after each smoke. Does anyone leave their smoker 100% outside with a cover? I would hate to destroy the smoker within the first couple years by letting it sit in the elements if it can't handle them.

Thanks for your help!

Hi All,

I am looking into purchasing a GMG Daniel Boone shortly, but don't want to constantly wheel it from my garage to the backyard before/after each smoke. Does anyone leave their smoker 100% outside with a cover? I would hate to destroy the smoker within the first couple years by letting it sit in the elements if it can't handle them.

Thanks for your help!
This is one of the reasons I decided against getting one...there are more like the indirect cooking. Have a Big Green Egg, only time that annoying PITA place setter/pizza stone is on there is when I am going low and slow....otherwise it sits in the garage. Took damn near 20 minutes to make burgers on it with that in there

Hi All,

Thanks for your help!

I have a DB & like it a bunch.... I don't keep mine outside, but that's just me. I know some folks that use these in comps & all kinds of weather. Also they make some real nice covers if ya was gonna keep it outside... I'd get the cover & you'd be fine to leave it outside I think ! Maybe go to the GMG site & drop them a line about your concerns... They've always been great help when I've needed anything ! Hope this helps & if ya have any more questions, just ask or send me a p.m. & I'll be happy to help what I can !

I have a DB & like it a bunch.... I don't keep mine outside, but that's just me. I know some folks that use these in comps & all kinds of weather. Also they make some real nice covers if ya was gonna keep it outside... I'd get the cover & you'd be fine to leave it outside I think ! Maybe go to the GMG site & drop them a line about your concerns... They've always been great help when I've needed anything ! Hope this helps & if ya have any more questions, just ask or send me a p.m. & I'll be happy to help what I can !
Safe to assume that if the grill is left outside, even covered, the hopper should be emptied first, to avoid the pellets from becoming sponges?

Safe to assume that if the grill is left outside, even covered, the hopper should be emptied first, to avoid the pellets from becoming sponges?

IMO, not necessarily.... My cover goes on really snug, so I don't think that'd be a problem... However, ya may need to take into consideration the climate ya live... For example where I live, our humidity is quite low, so I wouldn't be worried on that.... But if I lived in a humid area, that may affect the pellets.... Not sure, but is possible !

I've had my DB for many yeasr, one of them kept outside under a GMG cover. Here in WI it can be humid and cold. Pellets were never affected in the hopper at any time. The only issue I saw was that during the warmer times condensation would occur under the cover from the lack cover warming the air underneath quicker that the metal on the grill. The surface finish suffered a bit, but never affected operation or pellets. Even outside in rain and snow wqithout the cover when cooking moisture never entered the hopper more than the ambiet humidity, and a cover won'
t protect against that anyways.

Hi All,

Thanks for your help!
I have had a GMG Jim Bowie for a little more than two years.  I keep it outside 100% under a GMG cover.  Being in California, I have not had any issues with the pellets being stored in there.  I hasve gone for 3 to 4 months between smokes sometimes and I have never had an issue firing it back up.  It collects a little dusts here and there from the few times it was out for a few days without the cover, but it is nothing that a quick sponge bath has not cleaned up.

Hi All,

Thanks for your help!

I have had a GMG Jim Bowie for a little more than two years.  I keep it outside 100% under a GMG cover.  Being in California, I have not had any issues with the pellets being stored in there.  I hasve gone for 3 to 4 months between smokes sometimes and I have never had an issue firing it back up.  It collects a little dusts here and there from the few times it was out for a few days without the cover, but it is nothing that a quick sponge bath has not cleaned up.

3-4 months between smokes ! :icon_eek: There's laws against that, right ?? :biggrin: I just can't wait that long... (Per the Q rules book) :rules: LOL

Great info BTW ! Thumbs Up

Last edited:
3-4 months between smokes !
icon_eek.gif
There's laws against that, right ??
biggrin.gif
I just can't wait that long... (Per the Q rules book)
Rules.gif
LOL

Great info BTW !
icon14.gif
Unfortunately, the wifey does not like any Q, though I have tried to get her to just taste it on my times.  So since most of the food going on it is just for me, at times it does not make sense to fire it up. She has a severe food phobia, but that is another story for a therapist's couch.

I have the Daniel Boone.....   LOVE IT!!!!!   As far as searing meat, it isn't quiet like a direct heat grill, but close..   The new Daniel Boones have a heat shield with holes in it, so you can open them up for high heat.  I turn mine up to 500* F when I do steaks or burgs. They do get charred, and stay very juicy.  Since I have had mine I haven't used my normal grill.  I grill/smoke every night.  As far as the GMG not being smoky enough,,,,, if you start your cook at 150* for a while, then turn up the heat, you will get lots of smoke flavor.

The new GMG Daniel Boone Grills include the Stainless Steel Direct Flame plates.  You can easily adjust from direct to indirect.  Even while indirect, you can achieve a solid sear.  When you adjust your plates to direct heat you will have all you need.

I have had a Traeger for a couple years until my company started selling the GMG.  I love the thing, we sell a ton of them and we have yet to have a customer come back to complain about it.  I would say about 75% of all the people I work with now have one.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky