Greek Fried Potatoes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
First, I didn't know where to post this as it is a side item but I developed it to use some of the trimmings from my back (Canadian) bacon. So, if any moderator wishes to move this, I bow to your wisdom and thank you for your help!

I have found many uses for the trimmings from my bacon. The ends from the bacon have a very strong smoke taste and need to be used sparingly but add a nice flavour if used well.

I was making some home fries to go with a chicken schnitzel I was making and thought about adding some lemon and oregano for a Greek influence. As usual, my weak age addled brain wandered and led me to think about using the bacon trimmings.

I chopped 125 ml (1/2 cup) of bacon trimmings and the same amount of onions.

I cut 500 grams (1 pound) of soft skinned potatoes into a 3/4 inch dice.

I added 250 ml (1 cup) of water to the potatoes and microwaved them in 2 minute intervals until they were just fork tender then I drained them.

I heated 15 ml (1 tbsp) of butter in a fry pan over medium heat until it was frothy. Then I added the bacon and cooked just until it was getting a nice red colour, about 3 minutes.

I added the onion and sauteed just until the onion started to soften, about 3 minutes.

I added the potatoes and 50 ml (1/4 cup) lemon juice and 5 ml (1 tsp) oregano. I cooked, stirring occasionally, until the lemon juice was evaporated.

I continued to cook until the bacon was starting to crisp. Do not try and brown the potatoes. They will not brown and aren't meant to.

Here is the finished product.

The Verdict

The potatoes have a great texture and the lemon gives the touch of tart I like in Greek style potatoes. The bacon trimmings added a great smoke flavour that I really like but made She Who Must Be Obeyed roll her eyes and accuse me of smoking everything. However, I note she had a second helping!

Disco

Last edited:
Reactions: pitbulmom
Great pics, great directions, great post! Yum!
drool.gif

I've never heard of them, but the pictures and your eloquent descriptions have peaked my interest! Bookmarked this one too!

They look scrumptious

Last edited:
Thx. Disco, I love greek fried potatoes, I bookmarked this one as I am going to try these very soon.  Looks great....

Another recipe going in the folder! LOL! 

They look fantastic! I have added Oregano to Fried Potatoes before, but never thought about the Lemon!

points1.png

I've never heard of them, but the pictures and your eloquent descriptions have peaked my interest! Bookmarked this one too!

They look scrumptious
Thanks, I was just trying to use up some bacon trimmings!

Thx. Disco, I love greek fried potatoes, I bookmarked this one as I am going to try these very soon.  Looks great....
I do love taters. Thanks!

Another recipe going in the folder! LOL! 

They look fantastic! I have added Oregano to Fried Potatoes before, but never thought about the Lemon!

points1.png
Thanks for the point! If you haven't tried lemon on potatoes, you have to try the real Greek potatoes that are roasted in the oven. 

Never seen anything like them,in the Greek Diners

Looks good

Richie
Har. As I made them up at the moment, I suspect a Greek would spit at you if you called them Greek food! I just used the seasonings from Greek roasted potatoes.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky