Great Smoke from the Masterbuilt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

redclaymud

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Sep 7, 2011
Barnardsville, NC
I've had my Masterbuilt about three years.  Use it on and off about10 times a year, depending upon how many I'm cooking for.  I generally use this unit as a backup to my Weber.  

Regarding the Masterbuilt, never, ever could I keep the "Amazing Smoker" pan going.  I guess my unit was just too sealed.  I've tried keeping a spoon in the door for oxygen, which was my best solution to smoke last year.  It worked a bit but the pellets really didn't smoke well.  Most of them didn't burn.

Today I tried apple pellets in the smoke pan at the bottom of the Masterbuilt.  Three pans full.  Amazing smoke . . .too much smoke.  I had not put the meat on yet.  Just wanted to test the smoke.  It was overpowering.  I opened the door to the Masterbuild and watched a cloud of smoke head to the heavens.

Now I'm ready to test all kinds of recipies.  "Bring it On."  I've got control of my smoker again.

I've never had a problem keeping the AMNPS going - I put the tray on top of the sheet metal chip box, pull out the chip loader tube an inch or two, and run w/the vent wide open.  I give it 45 seconds of torch and let it flame for 10 minutes before blowing it out and putting it in the MES...  Hope that helps!

Oh - I do keep my pellet bags (two 20 pounders) sealed in a cooler so they don't absorb moisture/humidity...

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky