grease control and fires!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

anhphuong

Original poster
Jan 8, 2019
How do you handle grease control and preventing flash fires I've seen pics online of major fires where it completely wrecks a fridge smoker, so far its only happened once to me, was smoking 12 pork butts at the same time had a couple of 1/2 pans catching the grease, I was at work my wife was checking the meat opened the door and had 12 ft flames instantly she slammed the door and turned it off I came home dumped the pans and started over never had another problem never smoked this much again at once have you seen anything simmlar? and what do u do to prevent this thanks bruce from Joplin

Reactions: SonnyE
How do you handle grease control and preventing flash fires I've seen pics online of major fires where it completely wrecks a fridge smoker, so far its only happened once to me, was smoking 12 pork butts at the same time had a couple of 1/2 pans catching the grease, I was at work my wife was checking the meat opened the door and had 12 ft flames instantly she slammed the door and turned it off I came home dumped the pans and started over never had another problem never smoked this much again at once have you seen anything simmlar? and what do u do to prevent this thanks bruce from Joplin

Hi there and welcome Bruce!

I think we would need to know a little more about your fridge smoker like is it electric, gas/propane, etc. etc.

One approach that should work well would be to use a pan + rack system for each of your pork butts. I know it may seem excessive for 12 butts but it would work without an issue plus if you use foil pans that isn't hard to do or expensive to come by. You would just then need to have some racks to use with the pans.

My small simple rack + pan setups are the following:

I hope this gives some food for thought :)

I had a giant fire once when I overloaded my gas grill.
Six racks of Baby Backs burning away.
I've never overloaded my grill since. And never had another disaster like that.

Welcome to
small-logo.png

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky