Grayish colored film on meat...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jones54

Original poster
Jan 13, 2011
Lately I have seen a grayish colored film on my meats during the cooking process. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? It is not a dark color gray, it is a light gray tented color gray. It is almost like a ash colored gray. I'm not cooking over my heat source. My heat source is coming from the rear smoke box. I am cooking on a diamond plate clone style smoker.I am cooking with my doors slightly open and I am getting great airflow and a clean burn through the whole cook. My end product taste just fine, but the color is a little strage to me.  Any help would be appreciated.

Stumps me , I have never had that trouble , mine come out Sweating and Mahogany colored :

0497ff49_Betty004.jpg

Once in , I shut my lid and patiently wait for her to soak up all that lovely smoke. I'll figure out my time at 1.5 hrs. per pound of meat and add some to that , introduce my probes and watch the temps, till I come close to the finished IT and then check them for doneness (temp.) on my Mavericks. 

See the shiny look , that is sweat and tells me they are almost done , this is true for Ribs too , after my time gets close , I do the bend test and determine wether or not it is done .

7421418d_bbqshots001.jpg

My color and texture is spot on most everytime. A good whole Spare is what I like , BB's don't trip my trigger.

2a4bcab6_006.jpg

Low heat , gentle sweet smoke and Love is all that is needed .....
drool.gif

Around 225*f for around 6 hrs. , and the ribs are done...

Have fun and........

I have not either had this. Maybe it could be blood escaping and turning brown? Just a thought.

Sounds like what happens when meat is cooking at a low temp and high moisture like Steaming...No Browning, Maillard Reaction, just coagulation.  If the meat is wet, injected or marinaded this can account for the surface moisture, that combined with a temp less than 200*F and you may very well get Steamed Gray Meat...I would shut the Doors let the temps get up to 225-250*F, measured with a calibrated thermometer and see what happens... JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky