Gravity fed lacks smoke flavour

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Ridley

Original poster
Feb 6, 2019
I have just started using a gravity fed smoker (stumps clone) and I am finding there is little to no smoke flavour on the food.

I am putting wood into the ash pan and a nice clean smoke is coming out of the chimney, but the food has little smokey flavour, colour yes flavour no.

No either I've had Covid for a month or I am doing something wrong here.

I have thought that maybe the chimney is too far open but would it make that much difference?

Any ideas?

what type of wood you using, what meat ya smoking, what temps. did you try the meat a day or two after, was it any better. not familiar with your smoker but i don't think the chimney wide open would be your problem.

Reactions: chopsaw and jcam222
As others said more detail on wood and cool temp would help. My first thought would be to step up the amount of wood you are using and the frequency you replenish it. With large cuts of meat is also worry less about the perfect incisive to blue smoke and just make sure you have a fair amount of smoke rolling. Lastly I unfamiliar with the chimney damper but perhaps you can choke it off a little?

I've never used one , but I thought the wood went below the charcoal and as the charcoal burns it drops down on the wood .

Reactions: jcam222
Put the chunks in with the charcoal and see if your flavor improves. :emoji_wink:

Ru saying that it will?

I don't get it. I've had hours of good looking smoke and no flavour.

Does the chimney position have an effect?

Are the chunks actively burning under the coal? I mainly use a WSM, the chunks actively burn, producing great flavor. Maybe if they are smoldering only, you just aren’t getting enough smoke.

Are the chunks actively burning under the coal? I mainly use a WSM, the chunks actively burn, producing great flavor. Maybe if they are smoldering only, you just aren’t getting enough smoke.

Yep actively burning, went through loads of wood yesterday.

I put wood in with the charcoal and a LOT in the ash bin.
No issues with smoke flavored meat for me.
Not offset stickburner flavor but way more than a pellet spitter or Kamado.

I put wood in with the charcoal and a LOT in the ash bin.
No issues with smoke flavored meat for me.
Not offset stickburner flavor but way more than a pellet spitter or Kamado.

How much wood in with the charcoal? Also do you keep replacing the wood in the ash bin. Yesterday and last weekend i went through quite a bit of wood in the bin and the oke from the chimney looked good.

How open do you have the chimney?

This^^.

Regardless of smoker these three things are key in what smoke profile you get.

Last weekend I was using cherry, this weekend oak.

Last weekend I was running at 225° this weekend 250°

Last week pork butt, this pork butt and short ribs

Can you ID both the charcoal and wood you are using? Also the source for the wood? Couple others things, what smoker were you using prior to this and did you have a lack of smoke flavor with it too? Have you tried the food the following day and if so did it still lack in smoke? Sometimes I find the day I’m smoking and tending the smoker I go nose blind to smoke somewhat until the following day.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky