Gravity Fed or Pellet on a $1600 budget.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Kuniyosh

Original poster
May 2, 2023
Trying to decide between a Gravity Fed Charcoal smoker or a Pellet smoker. I have looking at the following:

Master Built 1050​

WOODWIND PRO 36

I am just not sure which I want but I am leaning towards the MB1050. My question is really longevity and durability. This is an investment for me for at least 5-10 years. I was using a UDS before and loved the flavour and cooking process on this but the temperature management was always a struggle. I need something that I can set and forget as I have 3 kids and when entertaining my wife needs all the help she can get. She hates me having to babysit the meat and is always reluctant to let me smoke because of this.

So what do people recommend for a set and forget smoker. I am looking at a Webber Kettle 22" for my grilling and am aware I can smoke on it. I WILL try this in the future but for now I need something "set and forget".

Any other suggestions in the $1600 range are welcome.

Sorry for the repost Jim.

Well, I've got the MB1050, so I'm going to be a little biased. I've had mine since fathers day the year they came out, and have had zero problems with it. With that being said, I have made some changes to it, and I made them about two weeks after I got it. I have three mods from klottesmods that I'd recommend. They are:

the rear vent (https://klotesmods.com/collections/1050-mods/products/1050-rear-vent-slide),

the hybrid manifold cover (https://klotesmods.com/collections/1050-mods/products/1050-hybrid-manifold-cover-waterpan),

and the fan protractor slide (https://klotesmods.com/collections/1050-mods/products/fan-protector-slide).

Please be aware that if you're going to sear, then you may well have flame-ups. Also, you need to make sure that all of the switches make good contact before you start cooking. Basically, I just l push and release each switch about 30-40 times each as part of my startup routine, and it all works fine.

If I have any complaints at all, it would be that I don't like cleaning up after a cook, but who does?

P. S. You might also want to get a Meater thermometer probe block. I like mine MUCH better than the wired probes that work with the MB, but that's mainly because I don't like messing with the probe wires. If had nothing to do with the MB itself.

Reactions: 912smoker
You can get a recteq 1250 for that price point with a 6 year warentee shipped right to your door……or you could get a RT 700 or a 1070 cart both for a bit less (still 6 year warrantee) and have extra to get a bunch of pellets…..

Reactions: JC in GB
Not so sure I can answer your question but I will say I have a Pit Boss I've had for a few years and I just bought a new Masterbuilt Gravity Feed. I think my biggest problem with my PitBoss was the pellets I used at times they weren't cut to the same lengths and some were quite long and they seemed to jamb the auger up and then lead to a fire in the burner area never enough to do any big harm but enough to shut the smoker down then finish in the oven.
Not sure what you have over the pond but I got the Masterbuilt 900 with the pizza oven attachment for around $650. I think the 900 may be built for Costco haven't found much on them elsewhere but what I have found leads me to believe it's pretty much the same size as the 800 those are the attachments it calls for.
I have heard a lot of good things about the recteq as well but have never been around one.

You can get a recteq 1250 for that price point with a 6 year warentee shipped right to your door……or you could get a RT 700 or a 1070 cart both for a bit less (still 6 year warrantee) and have extra to get a bunch of pellets…..
recTech do. It deliver to mainland UK… I am gutted.

Well, I've got the MB1050, so I'm going to be a little biased. I've had mine since fathers day the year they came out, and have had zero problems with it. With that being said, I have made some changes to it, and I made them about two weeks after I got it. I have three mods from klottesmods that I'd recommend. They are:

the rear vent (https://klotesmods.com/collections/1050-mods/products/1050-rear-vent-slide),

the hybrid manifold cover (https://klotesmods.com/collections/1050-mods/products/1050-hybrid-manifold-cover-waterpan),

and the fan protractor slide (https://klotesmods.com/collections/1050-mods/products/fan-protector-slide).

Please be aware that if you're going to sear, then you may well have flame-ups. Also, you need to make sure that all of the switches make good contact before you start cooking. Basically, I just l push and release each switch about 30-40 times each as part of my startup routine, and it all works fine.

If I have any complaints at all, it would be that I don't like cleaning up after a cook, but who does?

P. S. You might also want to get a Meater thermometer probe block. I like mine MUCH better than the wired probes that work with the MB, but that's mainly because I don't like messing with the probe wires. If had nothing to do with the MB itself.
I do not have any tools for mods sadly. They will also likely not deliver to the Uk…

That's a tough choice you're making. I've not cooked with either one, so my help is limited.

I do have a Masterbuilt 560 and I really like the smoke it produces and the flavor. Its not like my stickburner, but close to it. Its a charcoal/chunk cooker but it doesn't have that flavor. Its sold me on gravity feed smokers and I'm gonna make an upgrade to a more expensive GF smoker.

But everything about the MB560 says cheap. The metal is tinny, the latches are cheap, its definitely a budget product. Then I go to Academy and look at the 1050 and pick up the lid and how heavy it is stands out to me. It does not scream cheap. It has a much more substantial " feel " to it.

As for pellets, I've never cooked with any pellet smoker nor have I eaten barbecue from a pellet smoker. The common thing read on these boards is pellets don't produce the smoke flavor. I've no idea if that's true and it probably varies from person to person. I like Camp Chef's idea on how to solve this perceived problem, but I've no idea how it works in reality. Its not been out there for very long.

Again, you're making a tough choice. I think first thing is to decide if you want gravity feed or pellets. Then go from there.

Welcome home, with the price of charcoal having risen sharply in the last 2-3 years my want has dwindled with the any of the gravity fed units. the new woodwind pro interest me with being able to add wood without much problems, pellets are pretty cheap for the most part. I love the concept of the gravity fed but the durability with the thin/cheaper materials suggests they may make it 2-3 years .

My buddies Q with the 1050 is phenomenal. That said I am not certain 10 years out of one is likely. Your budget suggests to me that you could also afford to evaluate higher end charcoal cabinets. I am not sure what’s available to you but smokers like Humphreys, Backwoods, 270 and Assassin all have high quality builds that would last lifetimes. Even without adding electronics most are set and forget once you get temp dialed in. You can add fan controllers to essentially turn them into a nice high end version of set and forget.

Last edited:
Welcome home, with the price of charcoal having risen sharply in the last 2-3 years my want has dwindled with the any of the gravity fed units. the new woodwind pro interest me with being able to add wood without much problems, pellets are pretty cheap for the most part. I love the concept of the gravity fed but the durability with the thin/cheaper materials suggests they may make it 2-3 years .

I've had my 560 two years and its going strong with very little sign of wear. I've got some paint peeling on the firebox door, but that's it.

But I don't grill with my 560. I don't run it at high heat. Strictly a smoker. And from anecdotal experience on the Gravity Feed Facebook groups, those who crank it up to high heat are also the ones having problems. But that's purely anecdotal.

And to edit, I have replaced all three switches. In total, it was $21 expense and took 20 minutes to change them out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Saul D and jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky