Gralax

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by graywolf1936, Aug 30, 2015.

1. I been making Gralax for some time, Salmon, salt, sugar, capers and dill, let it cure for 3-4 days, slice thin and serve with cream cheese. My guest love it. Now I want  to add another level of flavor without changing the texture(too much). Now,you think I could smoke it for short time at 180 for that smoke flavor or such I just use heavy smoked salt in the curing process. Thank you

Joe

2. mdboatbum

mdboatbum Master of the Pit OTBS Member

If you have the capability to cold smoke it, that works well without changing the texture. Any heat above 80°-100° will change the texture. I've done cold smoked gravlax several times and it's always a crowd pleaser.

Here is some cold smoked gravlax with dill I did a while back.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
    smokingpiney likes this.
  3. tropics

tropics Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

MDB by any chance did you do a step by step? That looks fantastic

Richie

4. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

5. mdboatbum

mdboatbum Master of the Pit OTBS Member

That's the recipe I followed. It's the best one I've ever used. Only change I ever made was to wrap in plastic and put it back in the fridge for a day or two after forming the pellicle. It happened by accident but it was a good thing. It made the texture much more velvety.

6. tropics

tropics Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Thank You Sir Salmon on sale this week.

Richie

7. cmayna

cmayna Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member