Gouda cheese

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
Quick question. I love smoked gouda. So I bought a pound of it to smoke. It has wax on one side of it. I am guessing it should be removed for smoking. Also, how long should it be smoked? I'm thinking a few hours with light smoke.

Yes remove the way and treat in the same way as cheddar. 3 hours should be sufficient. Wrap in film (or vac pack) and then leave for a couple of weeks for the smoke flavour to penetrate and mellow.

Reactions: Steve H
Well, I ended up letting them smoke for 3.5 hours. Got side tracked talking to a neighbor about fishing this year. I also smoked some salt as well. The test piece was very good. In two weeks we'll feast!

P3250276.jpg

I like the color you got on it. What wood did you use? Did you try a taste (how could you not)? It will just get better and better as it rests.

I like the color you got on it. What wood did you use? Did you try a taste (how could you not)? It will just get better and better as it rests.

Thanks for the compliment. I used a A-MAZE-N 5x8 Wood Pellet Maze Smoker using apple pellets. The smoke was kind of dense for 3.5 hours. Haha, true. Who couldn't try some? The taste was very nice. A touch strong due to it being just off the smoker. The ambient air temp stayed between 38 and 50 degrees throughout the smoke. It will be a long couple of weeks to have some more. This started as a 3 month old piece of cheese.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky