1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Got my KWS 6" slicer today

Discussion in 'Slicers, Grinders, Tools, Equipment' started by Holly2015, May 15, 2018.

1. Holly2015

Holly2015 Smoking Fanatic

Tired of my old inexpensive slicer and after making some nice cured meats it was time to buy a decent slicer. After shopping around and determining I didn't want to house a 10" slicer the 6" KWS was a perfect fit.

So today it arrived. I unpacked it disassembled it and gave it a goods washing. Reassembled and went to work on 1-1/2 bresaola's. All in all it works light years better than my old slicer with a smooth sliding meat tray and cleaning is a 10 minute job.

I ended up with three (3) 4ounce packs of spicy bresaola and four (4) 6 ounce packs of traditional bresaola.

Attached Files:

• S1.jpg
      S1.jpg
      File size:
      50.1 KB
      Views:
    • S2.jpg
      S2.jpg
      File size:
      70.5 KB
      Views:
    • S4.jpg
      S4.jpg
      File size:
      50.7 KB
      Views:
    • S5.jpg
      S5.jpg
      File size:
      58.5 KB
      Views:
    Rings Я Us and 73saint like this.
  2. pc farmer

pc farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

6" blade?? Looks like a good slicer. All metal. Meat looks fantastic.

3. Holly2015

After reading lots about slicers the size 6", 10", 12" comes from the width of the food tray. The blade on my slicer is just about 7-3/4". This was also another reason for me going with a 6" slicer other than storage space is belly bacon would be about the longest meat I will cut. Since homemade bacon doesn't shrink like store bought I don't need to start with a 12" slice to end up with a 6" slice.

FS1.jpg

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  4. Traeger.Rage.BBQ

Traeger.Rage.BBQ Meat Mopper ★ Lifetime Premier ★

This is the last piece of equipment my Bride and I have wanted as we assemble the kitchen Arsenal. That’s a ‘Fully Semi-Automatic Assault’ Slicer, right there! That size and setup looks ideal for what and how we would use one.

And the meat looks perfect. The spicy would be right up our alley.

Thanks for the share!!!

Pat

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  5. SmokinAl

SmokinAl Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

That is a great looking slicer & the bresaola looks fantastic!

Al

6. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I love the "translucent" slices... My slicer won't do that.... My "knife skills" won't do that....
    Now, I've heard the thinner the slice, the more flavor the meat has... I can understand the thinking... Do you agree, sort of...

7. Holly2015

Before the KWS my old slicer was effective at making slices that started out a 1/8" and tapered down to paper thin. The paper thin part almost melted in your mouth as soon as it toughed your tongue where the thicker end was more jerky-like.

With the new slicer uniform paper thin slices are much more common place. I think the more pronounced taste thing is a the paper thin slice almost dissolves as it hits the palate releasing flavor almost immediately. Verses a thicker slice that needs a couple chews before it starts to break down and release flavor.

8. dls1

dls1 Smoking Fanatic

Nice looking slicer, Holly.

Coincidentally, I was considering the very same KWS slicer a couple months ago, but never pulled the trigger. My major concern was would the 200W have enough power to handle the occasional large job as compared to their 10" and 12" models with 320W and 420W, respectively? Any input you have on that is appreciated.

Also, did you get the plain SS blade or the Teflon coated SS blade?

BTW, I don't know where you heard/read that they're made in Italy, but they aren't. When I was researching them on Amazon, it was stated in the FAQ section for all 3 slicers that they were manufactured in China. Checking a data base I use I found that KWS is a wholly owned subsidiary of a company known as Shunling Refrigeration Kitchenware/Shunling Kitchenware in Foshon, China. Though Shunling manufactures and sells primarily commercial kitchenware in China and elsewhere in Asia under their own brand name their primary business is as a contract manufacturer for many known kitchenware brands globally. They decided to go on a direct to consumer basis in the U.S, and possibly elsewhere, and opened an office in Southern California in 2015 and trademarked the TWS brand shortly thereafter. http://www.shun-ling.com/En/ProductView.asp?cid=17&id=73

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  9. Holly2015

Mine is plain SS blade.

I forget where I read they were Italian manufactured but that seems to have been inaccurate information. In any event that wasn't a huge driving factor in my purchase. I based my purchase on on a few things:

1. Reviews from multiple sites
    2. Size.
    3. Parts availability. Some of the really obscure brands are priced great up front but if something goes bad where do you or can you get parts?

I can't comment on a 10 or 12" slicer as I have never used one. Interestingly enough I frequent a local restaurant equipment auction and could have easily bought a 12" commercial slicers for the same or less money than my KWS. But they are way more than I'd ever need at the house and I don't want to store something that massive.

I'm not sure what you would consider a big job but my KWS's maiden voyage was slicing 1-1/2 Bresaola paper thin. Total length of the meat was probably about 20 to 22 inches and took about 1/2 hour to slice weight and portion. Never any motor bog or motor overheat issues just the sound of the blade gliding through the meat.

Next was a 1-1/2 pound slab of bacon. 1/8" perfectly uniform slices took about 2 minutes to slice.

10. dls1

dls1 Smoking Fanatic

Holly, from what I understand, the Teflon coated SS blade is desirable if you're slicing a lot of cheese. Others have said the plain SS blade is fine as long as you spray it beforehand with something like Pam.

After rereading my comments about the slicers place of manufacture it struck me that some could think that I was "China Bashing" which I wasn't. That's meaningless to me as you can buy quality products made in China as well as crap products, and the KWS slicer appears to be a very high quality product. Same as in the U.S. as well as most other countries.

I understand what you're saying about the large slicers. The neighborhood Dutch/German butcher shop closed about a year ago after being in business for about 35 years. They were selling all of the fixtures and equipment and I asked the owner about their smallest slicer, specifically about the weight and price. He said it was around 125 lbs. and, and after a pause, said he would give it to me for free for being a loyal customer over all the years. I passed.

It sounds like what you're successfully doing with the slicer will easily meet my needs.

Thanks for the input. I placed my order on Amazon for the same unit a few minutes ago and it should arrive in a couple days.

11. Holly2015

China gets a bad rap for manufacturing junk when reality is they will manufacturer to a price point. If that price point is low the quality will follow and vise versa.

One nice surprise I got when I open the KWS package inside was an extra belt and a sharpening stone.

Although not necessary I did adjust the slide tray to close up the gap between it and the blade. It only took a minute and I only moved it about 3/16". Also there is a aluminum cover on the underside of the slicer that the meat tray barely rubbed against. Once I realized where the contact point was I quick push on the aluminum with the tip of a pen and all is well.

I think you'll be very happy with your purchase. Overall I am very pleased and would to hesitate to buy again.

Please do a review once you get it unpacked and do you 1st slicing.