Got A Whitney For My Shop - Woo Hoo!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smoking b

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 20, 2012
Middle of Nowhere, South Central PA
Yup as the title stated I am now the proud owner of a Whitney 105 
icon_mrgreen.gif

It's in great shape & I'm a very happy guy right now 
yahoo.gif
  Just had to tell somebody so I figured I would tell you... 
beercheer.gif

That deere has a loader. Get that thing in your shop. What are you waiting for? Lol

That deere has a loader. Get that thing in your shop. What are you waiting for? Lol
I have 2 things slowing me down. 1st is that the planer weighs a couple tons - the loader won't lift it. 2nd. is that the planer is 5' wide & won't fit through any of the main doors to my shop so I will have to get it in on the other side & take down a small wall to my game room overflow & then cut & hinge a wall in my shop to swing open & bring it in. 
icon_eek.gif

Cool piece of machinery. I'm not familiar with Whitney building wood making machinery. I've worked with metal all my adult life, and Whitney made a plasma/punch CNC machine that I've programmed and operated in the past. I've been to their factory in Illinois, and it's quite the thing to see! Not because it's big and futuristic, but because some of the first buildings are still there. It was a trip to hear how they used elevators to move pieces from one floor to the next, during the manufacturing process of the machines and tooling.

Sorry for the long story, but if it was me, I'd look into the history of that machine, and see if you can find information about how/where it was built. It's pretty amazing to see how manufacturing was done back then!

Jeremy you can bring it to my shop! Oh wait I don't have a shop anymore just a garage! There's still space for it and the doors big enough, and I have access to a crane. I'll even let you use it whenever you want!

Last edited:
Sorry for the long story, but if it was me, I'd look into the history of that machine, and see if you can find information about how/where it was built. It's pretty amazing to see how manufacturing was done back then!
I did my homework before I got it - this one was built in 1948 & purchased by DuPont where it was barely used. It was bought from DuPont by a collector who never even wired it up. He passed away & his family sold it to the guy I got it from. I found out about it in The Lancaster Farmer.

Whitney is still in business & still makes planers - they were bought by Newman so are now called Newman/Whitney. I called the factory & talked to a very nice guy who was very helpful. He told me that their main competition these days is their older planers like the 105. They were so over-engineered that they last forever & this one doesn't show much wear at all. They are very accurate with the wedge bed design as well - factory techs who set them up after purchase guaranteed less than .001" deviation from one corner of the bed to the other. These things were built to run 24/7 5 or 6 days a week in a factory setting so it will have no trouble outliving me. 
icon_mrgreen.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky