Goose skin sausage. Anyone ever try this?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mdboatbum

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 22, 2011
Washington, DC
swan-neck-sausage.jpg

Saw this mentioned on a show about cooking in the French Pyrenees with Jamie Oliver. Seemed like a really good idea, but I'm not sure if I would even know where to start to look for goose neck skins. Maybe I'll dust off the old Remington this coming fall and head out to try and bag a Canada Goose or two.

Anyway, the idea was pretty simple, you make whatever sausage you want, the one in the show was pork and goose, then stuff it into the goose, duck, swan or whatever bird's neck you have lying around. Apparently goose and duck work best due to the subcutaneous fat, but any bird with a long neck will work. I like the idea of using something that would otherwise be discarded.

Click on the picture for a link to an article I found this morning.

I've always wanted to try that but never got around to it. With the recent massive onslaught of geese around here the last couple years though I'm gonna go out on a limb here & say I'll be able to try it soon. If I do, I'll be sure to make a thread for ya 
icon14.gif

Thanks for reminding me about this! 
beercheer.gif

My butcher mate used to make goose neck sausage .His stuffing had orange peel,pistachio nuts,pork mince & goose mince.
It looked exactly like your photo.
The one tip I got was dont over stuff it. I think it was designed to be poached gently first then fried to crisp it.
Good luck with it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky