Goose/Pork Pepperoni

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
So you only used the fructose in the peppers to feed the starter, no dextrose? interesting! I've never thought about that before.
If you look up Bob's recipe @ the Marianski forum, that is what I used... 4 grams of dextrose, 3 grams of sugar. The fructose in the peppers contributed 2.45grams equivalent fructose to fermentation. So I had 6.45 grams simple sugars, and 3 grams sucrose.

Reactions: DanMcG
Wow Keith, all of that looks fantastic. I've been following your evolution in sausage making for several years and it's been one heck of a ride my friend. It's been a kick in the a$$ to see you go from basic stuff (like I make) to really dialing in the science of it and turning out some world class stuff. Kudos to you for keeping the path, striving to learn more in-depth processes, and carrying them out to create some amazing product.

Robert
Thanks for the comments Robert, but I am FAR from world class yet! Still have TONS more to learn....dry cured meats is one HUGE subject-especially fermented sausages!!! I'm making rookie mistakes....but luckily things are still working out, and my stuff is drying properly...

The goose pepperoni is finished. the natural beef middle casings I used were not all uniform size ranging from 1 3/4 to 2 1/4" in diameter so the sticks are dried ranging from 38-41% weight loss. I hung the thicker sticks to the back where there was more air flow to try and play catch up...they got more case hardening, but still dried fairly uniformly.
IMG_20210319_004907.jpg

Man that looks perfect. I bet it's delicious
Thanks Jake. It is pretty damn good. Dunno why, but curing goose meat really takes the edge off it. I can hardly tell it's not beef in the pepperoni! Dry cured Pepperoni is the 2nd. best way I know to eat a goose breast....pastrami being the first.

Reactions: TNJAKE
Quick note- When I peeled the casing off the affected area that was close to the ceramic heater, it did not look any different that the rest of the salami. The casing dried during fermentation, but had rehydrated in the chamber and got covered with mold. It dried evenly....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky