Good Ole Fashioned Labor Day Smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinVOLfan

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 27, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Who doesn't love a good American BBQ on Labor Day? Figured instead of burgers and dogs would do some pulled pork, chicken, and all the fixin's.

Started out with a 9 lb butt. Rubbed SPOG and added on some paprika and cumin.
labor26.jpg

Into the smoker around 1 am at 250 using char-hickory pellets. The next morning...
labor27.jpg

While that was cooking I whipped up three BBQ sauces. Regular(SBR type), Carolina Mustard, and Vinegar sauce. Shout out to chef jimmyj chef jimmyj on his sauce recipes. The mustard and vinegar are his and are excellent.
labor28.jpg

Picked up a 6.5 lb yard bird, spatched it, and seasoned up with Stubb's yardbird rub.
labor29.jpg

Butt in the MES and Chicken in the SV24 gasser. The TP-20 was pulling double duty.
labor30.jpg

Forgot to mention I wrapped when the butt hit 170. Pulled it at 204.
labor31.jpg

Here she is pulled and ready to go. Clean pull.
labor33.jpg

Yard bird done was done using hickory at 300-325ish. Pulled 165 in breast.
labor32.jpg

And the chicken. Did some pulled, sliced, and left the dark meat/wings in tact.
labor34.jpg

Whipped up a batch of Gary's gary s gary s beans that smoked for about 4 hours.
labor38.jpg

The spread.
labor35.jpg

Doesn't get much better than this.
labor36.jpg

And finished off with a Key Lime Pie a la Joe xray xray that I had made the day before. Forgot to get a pre-sliced shot so took this after I started to cut and remembered. Home whipped cream to go on top.
labor37.jpg

Tasty meal for sure. Everything came out well. Had planned to do smoked mac and cheese but realized when I was making sides I didn't have all of the ingredients so that got nixed. Other than that we were all able to eat and send some food to the neighbors and in-laws. Thanks for checking it out! Stay safe out there.

John

That is one good looking meal & you got to know that living most of my life in Florida, that Key lime pie is my favorite dessert!!
Al

Boy howdy John, that is one all around wonderful cook, big Like! I was tossing around doing chicken and ribs and didn't even think of using two smokers, brilliant! RAY

My kinda meal right there John!! I did something similar. Same concept, different application. did some meaty beef back ribs, smoked bacon and jalapeno 5-cheese mac & cheese, and wasabi horseradish slaw. You have a lot more variety though and I'd have loved to be at the table for that one. Great job buddy!!

Robert

Beautiful Labor Day smoke John! Way to go all out and everything looks delicious!

Double smokers are always a good time.

And come to think of it, this may be your first post without a beer in your pictures. Are you feeling okay?

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Wow John, could you please fill my feed trough with some of those vittles. I had to work the weekend so no smoking up my way. I've never tried Stubbs for chicken, but really like their pork rub.

All in all excellent looking cook.

Point for sure
Chris

that's one terrific looking spread! Nice job! All I can say is I wouldn't have had room for pie!

Ryan

Reactions: PPG1
Awesome spread, glad it was a good day! I'm loving the Old Smokey moonshine jar--I'm a big fan. My Dad actually works in Gatlinburg so we usually have a jar of one of the flavored varieties at the house when I visit.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky